• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting take by Peggy Noonan

The link only gets me to what appears to be an intro to the article...and I can't seem to see how to pull the whole thing up.

?

Can't read the article without subscribing. Skins is pimping for rupert.

As you said they have no serious candidate. That is a major problem.

The attacks on collective bargaining in WI, IN, OH and MI are going to drive many white middle class union voters away from the GOP who voted GOP in 08/10.

If the GOP passes the Ryan Plan, Obama will own senior votes. They will understand that Ryan is trying to end Medicare.

The Ryan Plan's attack on Medicare is the biggest politcal attack since the Civil Rights Bill drove the south Republican.

I can't believe they are so arrogantly stupid as to have put this bill forth leading up to a national that they were in such good shape for without doing anything.

If Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is 1/2 as talented as I think she is, she'll wiin back the House on this one issue.

I don't see how the GOP expects to make a serious push with how they intend to go at this budget. They're basically attacking seniors, lower middle class Americans, and educators, all the while still catering to big businesses and the wealthy by promising tax cuts to help create jobs...which was what the I thought the Bush tax cuts were supposed to do (and didn't really work).

I'm not as active in following politics as many of you are, but that's my perception of things currently.

The chance I vote republican in a national election has gone to zero. It wasn't very high before. I wish someone would run on raising taxes as well as reasonable cuts. I would so vote for them.

Domestically, the president’s opponents seized the high ground on the great issue of the day, spending and debt, and held it after the president’s speech this week. In last week’s budget duel, the president was outgunned by Republicans in the House and outclassed by Paul Ryan, who offered seriousness and substance as a unique approach to solving our fiscal problems.

Is she serious?

Wasserman-Schultz is talented in the only area that matters: raising cash. As much as I despise her, she can flat out bring in the funds.

The GOP actually has a strong candidate in Jon Huntsman. But Mormons with moderate stances on things like gay marriage and genuine conservative views on the environment need not apply these days.

Last edited:
Is she serious?

Heck yeah, Ryan looks like the serious guy talking real numbers and real ideas, meanwhile the President's off admitting he's played politics before and gives a vague, weird speech that most people hated.

Obama's only hope is the fear mongering of seniors works, I see RJ is in full mongering mode already in this thread.

That works, thanks.

Some mighty big "ifs" here...

Quote:
-----------
Will the GOP be serious? Will Republicans be equal to their history, their tradition and the moment? If they are—if they recruit and support candidates who can speak to the entire country, who have serious experience and accomplishments, who are grounded and credible, then they will win centrist support. And with it they will likely win the thing without which they cannot achieve the big changes they seek, and that is the presidency.
------------

"The speech was intellectually incoherent. An administration that spent two years saying, essentially, that high spending is good is suddenly insisting high spending is catastrophic. The president appealed for bipartisan efforts but his manner and approach leave his appeals sounding like diktats. His attempts to seem above the fray leave him seeming distanced and unwilling to risk anything."

Peggy Noonan is normally much smarter than this. I woudl have expected a paragraph liek this one and relating to support among blacks and Hispanics to come from the rank and file political hack writer not her.

Every major economist in the world said we needed to spend a lot when Obama tookover to keep us from going into a depression. Many thought we underspent.

Now that that is working it is the height of logic that we may not need to spend as much and that we can now look at cuts which weren't able to be made while we were a deathly spiral down.

Rearding his job approval by blacks nad Hispanics, I doubt there is any reasonable pollster who doesn't expect Obama 93-96% of the black vote again. Additionally with GA (and other states likely to follow) in putting forth draconian anti-immigration policies, Obama's Hispanic is likely to go up from the 64% of last time.

She doesn't discuss how the union-busting of the midwest will impact the white voters who went GOP in 2008.

She also doesn't discuss how Ryan's plan will drive seniors away from the GOP.

I usually like reading Peggy noonan, but this one of the laziest columns I've seen her write in over a quarter of a century.

She nails the GOP at the end there too, it will be interesting to see who they nominate...

T-Paw can win but will he be exciting enough?

Nominate a Bachmann or a Trump or a Newt, then you'll def lose.

Wasserman-Schultz is talented in the only area that matters: raising cash. As much as I despise her, she can flat out bring in the funds.

The GOP actually has a strong candidate in Jon Huntsman. But Mormons with moderate stances on things like gay marriage and genuine conservative views on the environment need not apply these days.

Huntsman would be an excellent candidate but he has three major strikes against him for the GOP nomination:

Strike 1 -being a Mormon.
Strike 2 - as you said being reasonable and moderate
Strike 3- this one carries over into his next at bat- he willingly worked for
Obama- this is john Kruk batting against Randy Johnson bad

Heck yeah, Ryan looks like the serious guy talking real numbers and real ideas, meanwhile the President's off admitting he's played politics before and gives a vague, weird speech that most people hated.

Obama's only hope is the fear mongering of seniors works, I see RJ is in full mongering mode already in this thread.

Medicare has about 4-5% in overhead costs. Private healthcare companies have 12-14%. Where's that money coming from?

Medicare has ZERO % in marketing costs. Private healthcare companies have to spend 15+% of revenues to get customers. Where's this money coming from?

Medicare doesn't make profit. Private healthcare comapnies (yes even the non-profits) stay in business by making money. where will this come from?

Also do not be deluded into thinking this will do away bureaucracy because there will be a massive bureaucracy to oversee the program's expenditures.

I'm sorry I'm using logic and real world business accumen.

Medicare has about 4-5% in overhead costs. Private healthcare companies have 12-14%. Where's that money coming from?

Medicare has ZERO % in marketing costs. Private healthcare companies have to spend 15+% of revenues to get customers. Where's this money coming from?

Medicare doesn't make profit. Private healthcare comapnies (yes even the non-profits) stay in business by making money. where will this come from?

Also do not be deluded into thinking this will do away bureaucracy because there will be a massive bureaucracy to oversee the program's expenditures.

I'm sorry I'm using logic and real world business accumen.

Medicare is so great that doctors are running away from it!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7009807.html

RJ, the goal of privatizing insurance is to squeeze out the fat. Not sure how you can honestly think the govt does ANYTHING more efficiently than private enterprise.

There isn't 30-35% fat in Medicare. it would have to be at least that for private insurers to stay in business.

Plus if you beleive an average priced voucher would cover all the costs for seniors who have medical problems, you are living in a dream world.

By the way, by FAR the highest rated medical systems by the customers are Medicare and the VA. OOPS

We have 50MILLION people without insurance under the private system. How does the private system work for them?

There isn't 30-35% fat in Medicare. it would have to be at least that for private insurers to stay in business.

Plus if you beleive an average priced voucher would cover all the costs for seniors who have medical problems, you are living in a dream world.

By the way, by FAR the highest rated medical systems by the customers are Medicare and the VA. OOPS

We have 50MILLION people without insurance under the private system. How does the private system work for them?

I guarandamnty you that over 30-35% of all Medicaid/Medicare payments are fraudulent, procedurally incorrect, or result from unnecessary procedures solely utilized to make up for the unrealistic Medicaid payment rates. I see it every day.

Last edited:
Back