• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Look at this chart

Because people who post charts like that on a message board apparently don't understand the difference between a marginal tax rate and an effective tax rate.

Edited to add: Damn, the commenters on that link beat me to it.

Last edited:
Ignoring the whole marginal vs. effective tax rate thing, the main reason why you avoid raising taxes, apart from economic doldrums, is because it's an excuse to not cut spending.

we have got to raise taxes, but we also have to cut spending across the board

I'M SO SMART

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=456

I can't find older historical effective rate data (granted, I spent a whopping 45 seconds looking) than this. While the swings are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller than the swings in highest marginal rates, as of 2007, the effective tax rates across the board are on the very low end of the spectrum since 1979. I'd be very curious to see the data from the 30s-70s.

Show me the cuts before you raise my taxes.

If you want more revenue, you'll cut taxes to flat rates by reforming the tax code, 3 rates would be perfect and slim down the taxes on business while ensuring that all of those silly writeoffs are gone, plus guard against too much overseas stockpiling.

I also think Trump is onto something w/ China, put a tax on their goods and dare them to come to the negotiating table. They're booming on the backs of our greenbacks.

It would be easier to rebuild the WTC than whoelsale changing the tax code.

The $300M spent lobbying on HC wouldn't even be tip money if you tried to completely overhaul the tax code at one time.

Small bites are much mroe likely.

It would be easier to rebuild the WTC than whoelsale changing the tax code.

The $300M spent lobbying on HC wouldn't even be tip money if you tried to completely overhaul the tax code at one time.

Small bites are much mroe likely.

We gotta stop kicking the can down the road on the Tax Code, SS and Medicare.

Deal w/ them all, save the country.

One thing I hope my generation has the cojones to do is fix all 3, otherwise we're going to hell in a hand basket.

I don't get how "simplifying the tax code" helps. They already cut taxes (didn't work, didn't create jobs), and that chart seems to imply that as the number of tax brackets decreased, things deteriorated. Somebody educate me with the theory...and please GOD do it without political rhetoric. I want facts and information, not "Democrats suck 'Pubs rule."

We gotta stop kicking the can down the road on the Tax Code, SS and Medicare.

Deal w/ them all, save the country.

One thing I hope my generation has the cojones to do is fix all 3, otherwise we're going to hell in a hand basket.

We should change social Security by means testing and upping the age over time.

We should change social Security by means testing and upping the age over time.

Why don't we limit what SS is willing to "do" for it's population. I think more decision support for docs would be awesome. Make the prove the patient needs the procedure before performing it.

For instance, my grandfather and grandmother both go to a podiatrist to have their toenails trimmed every month. POP, office visit charge to medicare. Totally unnecessary.

Why don't we limit what SS is willing to "do" for it's population. I think more decision support for docs would be awesome. Make the prove the patient needs the procedure before performing it.

For instance, my grandfather and grandmother both go to a podiatrist to have their toenails trimmed every month. POP, office visit charge to medicare. Totally unnecessary.

This already happens via the insurance companies, ask any doctor. If you are insinuating that doctors perform unneccessary medical procedures then you are very uninformed. Also, podiatrists are not MD's and are known for specious charges like these.

This already happens via the insurance companies, ask any doctor. If you are insinuating that doctors perform unneccessary medical procedures then you are very uninformed. Also, podiatrists are not MD's and are known for specious charges like these.

Wait a minute, hold the phone. Are you telling me I'm wrong for insinuating physicians perform unnecessary procedures in order to increase income?

Wait a minute, hold the phone. Are you telling me I'm wrong for insinuating physicians perform unnecessary procedures in order to increase income?

Tests, maybe. Surgeries, no. Many of these tests are done not to raise revenue but to protect themselves from ambulance chasers.

Tests FOR SURE. And it's not all about ambulance chasers. See imaging self-referral in orthopedics/spine care as the two most blatant examples.

Some do it but not the majority. Last time I had tests, the lab billed me, not the doctor so he had no incentive other than it was needed or he was trying to cover his ass.

Some do it but not the majority. Last time I had tests, the lab billed me, not the doctor so he had no incentive other than it was needed or he was trying to cover his ass.

Yeah, no one is targeting labs for decision support... yet. (Although I've noticed several physician practices in-housing certain portions of the lab market. I'm betting that's not for patient convenience.)

What am I supposed to take away from that chart?

Kristof: Raise America's Taxes.

He speaks against what he calls the following three fallacies:

• Republicans are the party of responsible financial stewardship, struggling to put America on a sound footing.

• Low tax rates are essential to create incentives for economic growth: a tax increase would stifle the economy.

• We can’t afford Medicare.

Back