• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

April 19, 1995

EatLeadCommie

Tommy Elrod
Reaction score
How soon we forget...

oklahoma-city-bombing-1.jpg

Think about them for a bit today.

April 19th and April 20th really suck, sorry if you were born on these days.

One of those times I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing.

Thanks for the reminder, ELC.

A good insight re: McVeigh can be found in Kery Noble's book, Tabernacle of Hate.

Also the anniversary of the torching of the Branch Davidian compound.

yeah, that too LK...I think that gets glossed over since it was McVeigh's reason for blowing up the Murrah building.

My grandfather is buried right across from Alfred Murrah's son. Across the thin street in the cemetery from my granddad's grave is also a gravesite for 2 young kids. The tombstone is adorned with a little carving of Barney and pictures of the kids, both of whom died on April 19, 1995.*

*Note, my granddad was not hurt in the bombings, but his building was 2 buildings away. The building between his and the Murrah building was 7 stories tall and he was on the 7th floor. When the explosion occurred, he was jostled out of his chair in his office and looked out the window to see a lot of glass falling from above. He and others went to the board room a few floors above and caught the view. My grandmother was in Edmond at the time and heard the explosion when it happened.

yeah, that too LK...I think that gets glossed over since it was McVeigh's reason for blowing up the Murrah building.

My grandfather is buried right across from Alfred Murrah's son. Across the thin street in the cemetery from my granddad's grave is also a gravesite for 2 young kids. The tombstone is adorned with a little carving of Barney and pictures of the kids, both of whom died on April 19, 1995.*

*Note, my granddad was not hurt in the bombings, but his building was 2 buildings away. The building between his and the Murrah building was 7 stories tall and he was on the 7th floor. When the explosion occurred, he was jostled out of his chair in his office and looked out the window to see a lot of glass falling from above. He and others went to the board room a few floors above and caught the view. My grandmother was in Edmond at the time and heard the explosion when it happened.

:( :rulz:

As someone with a 4 and 2 year old at home who will be excited when Daddy gets home, I feel like someone just punched me in the stomach. I'll never understand how anyone can be so blinded by hate, anger, whatever, that they'd perpetrate something knowing full well children will be their victims.

That's not the only or real reason. Ten years to the day that McVeigh blew up the Murrah Building, McVeigh's hero Waynr Snell was on his way to OKC to blow up the Murrah Building but they had car problems and turned back. The night McVeigh blew up the building was also the night Snell was executed for his racist killing of a Missouri State Trooper

No it wasn't the only reason...Ruby Ridge was another one...but it was apparently the prime motivation. I think Snell was already in jail in April 1985, so maybe you have your dates mixed up.

:( :rulz:

As someone with a 4 and 2 year old at home who will be excited when Daddy gets home, I feel like someone just punched me in the stomach. I'll never understand how anyone can be so blinded by hate, anger, whatever, that they'd perpetrate something knowing full well children will be their victims.

Agreed. I've got an 11 month old at home and when I opened the thread and saw the picture... ugh... stomach dropped. No excuse.

This is something that permeates daily life every day in federal buildings. The sad thing is that without any exception that I can think of, the daycare centers which are in federal buildings are all on the ground/first floor. In the case of the Murrah building, the day care center bore the brunt of McVeigh's attack. As worthless and evil a bastard as he was, I still would rather have him sitting in misery in Super Max like his buddy Terry Nichols, Robert Hanssen, Eric Rudolph, and Ranzi Yusef. Death was too easy an out for him.

No it wasn't the only reason...Ruby Ridge was another one...but it was apparently the prime motivation. I think Snell was already in jail in April 1985, so maybe you have your dates mixed up.

There's no question about the DAY. I'm 90+% sure about the year.

McVeigh also sent a letter to white supremicist Millar at Elohim City which is where Snell was to be buried after his execution.

The Canadian version of 60 Minutes reported that when told of the bombing of the Murrah Building on the daty of his execution, Snell said,"Thanks guys."

This is something that permeates daily life every day in federal buildings. The sad thing is that without any exception that I can think of, the daycare centers which are in federal buildings are all on the ground/first floor. In the case of the Murrah building, the day care center bore the brunt of McVeigh's attack. As worthless and evil a bastard as he was, I still would rather have him sitting in misery in Super Max like his buddy Terry Nichols, Robert Hanssen, Eric Rudolph, and Ranzi Yusef. Death was too easy an out for him.

I used to take leave every April 19 that was a workday for several years after that happened. Telework has made that less necessary now and April 19 really snuck up on me this year, probably due to the September 11 date firmly taking root in my consciousness now.

The Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center has a beautiful glass memorial for the victims of the Murrah attack. It has all the victims names listed by federal agency as well as all the children's with an image of the state.

You can see it every day and still get chills when you think about the names and how real it is.

This was one of the worst tragedies ever that could have been prevented. A little restraint at Waco and Ruby Ridge and McVeigh may not have lost it.

This was one of the worst tragedies ever that could have been prevented. A little restraint at Waco and Ruby Ridge and McVeigh may not have lost it.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into that. That's not much different from saying we brought 9/11 on ourselves through our support of Israel, etc... You can be outraged over government actions and not resort to violence. And certainly if you must engage in violence, you can choose to target people who are actually responsible and not go the chickenshit route by killing innocent civilians.

First of all it was lucky that Waco wasn't destroyed the day they opened fire on the ATF officers. Koresh created the entire problem and wasn't going to give up.

Every expert who has studied Waco agrees that the fires, etc. were started by Koresh's people.

Finally, McVeigh was a devotee of The Turner Diaries. He gave out copies to Army budies. The Turner Diaries talk about creating a race war by acts of intentional violence.

McVeigh celebrated racist groups like the CSA and the Order. Wayne Snell was his other hero and wrote him multiple times on death row.

The Murrah Building wasn't by accident. Snell was part of a plot to blow it up long before McVeigh did. Snell was a direct influence on the OKC bombing.

McViegh would have found another excuse.

First of all it was lucky that Waco wasn't destroyed the day they opened fire on the ATF officers. Koresh created the entire problem and wasn't going to give up.

Every expert who has studied Waco agrees that the fires, etc. were started by Koresh's people.

Finally, McVeigh was a devotee of The Turner Diaries. He gave out copies to Army budies. The Turner Diaries talk about creating a race war by acts of intentional violence.

McVeigh celebrated racist groups like the CSA and the Order. Wayne Snell was his other hero and wrote him multiple times on death row.

The Murrah Building wasn't by accident. Snell was part of a plot to blow it up long before McVeigh did. Snell was a direct influence on the OKC bombing.

McViegh would have found another excuse.

Quite possibly. Ruby Ridge could have been prevented and I'll agree to disagree about Waco.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into that. That's not much different from saying we brought 9/11 on ourselves through our support of Israel, etc... You can be outraged over government actions and not resort to violence. And certainly if you must engage in violence, you can choose to target people who are actually responsible and not go the chickenshit route by killing innocent civilians.

Not condoning McVeigh's actions but some of the triggers need to be examined. McVeigh was a piece of crap and got what he deserved.

Back