• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you ever marched or protested for your political beliefs?

Been to two tea party rallies mainly to see famous people...

We hitchhiked to DC for the May Day protest on the DC Mall. Flpper's (RIP) mom offered to buy us lunch in Georgetown. We got there early. Then the DC cops took over the streets and started arrested everybody who was out on the streets.

You guessed the longhairs (us) didn't get caught, but the suburban housewife got arrested. The irony of this was Flipper's dad worked for the government.

I marched on Tiananmen Square in '89. Here's a pic.

tiananmen-square.jpg

No, I've always found it more effective to get to know the right people then exert your influence that way

Typically the people who march or protest do so because they don't know the right people or have no influence to exert on their own.

True collective marches bulit outside of a single entity's goal or politcal motive are more effective than targeted "collegiate" type actions.

The March on Selma means a hell of a lot more than random acts we've seen lately.

I don't think marches or protests are particularly effective in the US nowadays for a variety of reasons. It's way to organize people around an issue, but I don't think it's going to convince others to rethink their positions on an issue.

I attended an anti-Vietnam war rally as a young teenager - old enough to know what was going on but not really old enough to be part of things. The thing I remember most is that there were some really cute hippie chicks who didn't seem to mind me staring at their boobs, some of which you could see pretty well.

A few years later, my birthday came up number 87 in the lottery, which got my attention.

I was in the marching band. I believe in SOTOGAB.

Attended anti-war rallies. We were trying to stop the war but we were also looking to pick up chicks. Sometimes you got lucky.

"Check it, it is 8 o'clock in the morning, which is the earliest I has ever been up and I is in the middle of the fucking desert. Why? Cuz I is here at a anti-nuclear protest which is a subject well dear to me heart. Also, it is an opportunity to meet some loose hippie bitches and possibly have a rumble. Respek!" - ali g

Last edited:
Absolutely not, I have dignity.

I did however debate driving my car through an anti-Bush rally in Winston back in 2004.

protests

Absolutely not, I have dignity.

I did however debate driving my car through an anti-Bush rally in Winston back in 2004.

Me too and I kind of wanted to do the same when they were protesting outside my military base when we went into afghanistan.

Attended a few Tea Party rallies, handed out a ton of litertaure, but no actual maraching.

To my conservative friends, doing this is awesome. Nothing pisses off liberals more than using 60s measures to advance conservative ideas, except to do so in support of a war.

Led a walk out in favor of free speech (teacher was suspended for having a "I'd fly 10,000 miles to smoke a Camel" sign )and in favor of the Gulf War in high school. Liberals went ballistic.

Back