• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Run for the hills!! The moon is at perigee on March 19!!

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. So you guys are probably familiar with the fact that the orbits of most bodies are ellipses. :eek:rbitbuddy: They are never a perfect circle. The moon is no different. It has an apogee(farthest point) and perigee(closest point.)

It follows that tides and other things are much stronger when the Moon is at perigee or around 350,000km away. There are some misconceptions about the so called "super moon" causing earthquakes and natural disasters and severe weather. I assure you. There is no correlation between these events and the super moons. On average, the moon is at perigee 12-13 times per year and most of you don't even notice. It is natural to want to connect severe weather and natural disasters with the moon at perigee, but it has never been shown to cause anything other than stronger tides.

The moon is a strange friend. We associate it with weird behavior during the full moon, we use it to gauge time and weather and we associate it with disasters. In the end, I think he gets a bad rap.

sidebyside.jpg

This is a picture of the moon at Perigee and apogee

Uhh, I definitely read on the internetz that the last great Indonesian Tsunami happened right before a perigee, and now this one only a week before too!? I don't believe you.

Uhh, I definitely read on the internetz that the last great Indonesian Tsunami happened right before a perigee, and now this one only a week before too!? I don't believe you.

Are you a fox news anchor? ;)

Back