• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redshirt Washington?

piratedeac92

Reaction score
Are we gonna do this? It just makes since to me to save a whole year of eligibility rather than let him play the last 3 minutes of a blowout here and there. I remember thinking Ty could've really used this too (if he wasn't a knuckehead he could've done some big things)

Can't redshirt this yearsince he has already played. He has already reclassified in high school so I don't see the point of redshirting. Either he is going to contribute by next year or he will likely be a bust. No use in tying a scholarship up for an additional year when we need scholarships to rebuild the program. Maybe spacing out the 8 man class that we have is reason enough but that really shouldn't be a good reason in my opinion.

This is big time college hoops. You don't redshirt for non-injury reasons.

What was the deal with David Weaver? Was he injured when he first got on campus?

McClinton would probably redshirt next year. Washington would make two.

Yep. He's what we thought he was. A project.

I am afraid project is a euphemism in his case. Waste of a scholly is more accurate.

Well sure we'd rather have one of Mitchell's highly rated buddies than Washington's 3rd year.

too early to tell....a team has thirteen scholarships. You can take a chance on an athletic 7'1+ guy. You can't coach 7'1 with a long wingspan. That's the kind of chance you can take.

Can't redshirt this yearsince he has already played. He has already reclassified in high school so I don't see the point of redshirting. Either he is going to contribute by next year or he will likely be a bust. No use in tying a scholarship up for an additional year when we need scholarships to rebuild the program. Maybe spacing out the 8 man class that we have is reason enough but that really shouldn't be a good reason in my opinion.

It's not that we can't redshirt him because he's 'played', it's because he's played too much. IIRC you can play in about 6 games and still redshirt (it might also be a % of your total games).

It's not that we can't redshirt him because he's 'played', it's because he's played too much. IIRC you can play in about 6 games and still redshirt (it might also be a % of your total games).

That is only medical redshirt. If you play one minute and are not injured within the 1st X% of games then you cannot redshirt.

Exactly, give the kid some time. He may pan out. He may not, but if he does, it's huge for us. There is little to no downside.

Back