• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Moricle Society and the Downfall of Wake Forest Athletics

TripleDeac80

Reaction score
2qbeye0.jpg

The Moricle Society is the mark of being a big-time Wake Forest donor. Why is it that the personalized boxes for the society have 5 recently peeled off name-tags? Last time I checked, in order to be considered, you had to donate $50,000 annually. That is quite a bit of money and support that has suddenly left the roost. A little birdie, in the form of a private donor that gives $100,000+ annually and has some fairly nice seats at both football and basketball games, told me that they will not be giving another red cent to the university until [Redacted] is fired. This is the sentiment among many of the other big donors that they know, but guess what? It does not matter. Ron Wellman has tied his ship to Jeff [Redacted].

2af9vsw.jpg

A recent trip to Hanes Mall brought me into the Alumni Hall store. Much to my dismay, every piece of Wake Forest merchandise was 50% off. They are liquidating their holdings in favor of UNC, App State and Duke. Hell, there is even some ECU thrown in there.

Oh how far we have fallen. I asked the clerk about the sale on Wake gear and he told me that they just don't sell it anymore. We don't have the support of the townies and we don't have the support of alumni. Sad, isn't it?

Congratulations on the ACC wins, Jeff and Ron. I hope the dismantling of our once proud program is worth it.

Thanks for posting this information...Found this article from 2007:

Get this tidbit from the Chronicle: "Three years ago, Wake Forest established the Moricle Society, for donors who contribute at least $55,000 a year. The program has brought in an extra $1 million a year for the athletics department. Society members fly free on teams' charter flights, are wined and dined, and get private 'chalk talks' from coaches before games. 'We don't skimp on these people,' says Cook Griffin, executive director of the Deacon Club, Wake's athletics fund-raising arm. 'You can't spend too much on them.'" So let's cut back on the math department budget. Nobody is going to pay money to watch nerds think...

Source: http://www.thenation.com/article/bonehead-u#

A recent trip to Hanes Mall brought me into the Alumni Hall store. Much to my dismay, every piece of Wake Forest merchandise was 50% off. They are liquidating their holdings in favor of UNC, App State and Duke. Hell, there is even some ECU thrown in there.

Oh how far we have fallen. I asked the clerk about the sale on Wake gear and he told me that they just don't sell it anymore. We don't have the support of the townies and we don't have the support of alumni. Sad, isn't it?

is this where we point out that we have a Deacon shop in Hanes Mall that probably makes it a bit harder for anyone else in the mall to sell wake stuff when folks know there's a better selection a short walk away?

No arguing that we've fallen from the heights we reached under Dino... but you'd think that recent weeks have provided some hope that we're on the way back.

Hopefully the bottom line forces Ron's hand.

Our bottom line isn't bad because of the TV revenue from ACC contracts. We're actually better off than some other ACC schools. So Ron can continue to ignore the lack of quality in our basketball and football products and the lack of fannies in seats.

I would be pretty surprised if we lost 5 Moricles. I think that would basically be a third of the total membership. ACC revenue or not that would have Hatch's attention.

I'm not doubting the veracity of the original post, but it is interesting that this would be his/her first post ever on these boards.

As a follow up, since they are not giving 1 red cent do you think they may be giving a Black and Gold cent instead?

I heard the Moricle Society members were offended when Bzeldik took a huge dump in the MS private restroom and didnt wipe or flush.

Seriously?

yeah, seriously. What does this statement "A little birdie, in the form of a private donor that gives $100,000+ annually and has some fairly nice seats at both football and basketball games, told me that they will not be giving another red cent to the university until [Redacted] is fired. This is the sentiment among many of the other big donors that they know..." have to do with the economy?

yeah, seriously. What does this statement "A little birdie, in the form of a private donor that gives $100,000+ annually and has some fairly nice seats at both football and basketball games, told me that they will not be giving another red cent to the university until [Redacted] is fired. This is the sentiment among many of the other big donors that they know..." have to do with the economy?
How about because its bullshit.

Back