• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Loren Woods: What happened with that guy?

DeaconOEF/OIFvet

Reaction score
Saw a post with that Moon had made and it brought up a question that I've had for a long time that was never fully answered. So what exactly happened with Loren Woods? I never got a clarified story as to why Loren Woods left Wake. I've heard bits and pieces about not being able to fill in Duncan's shoes, moping about on the court, no hard work, etc. But was there any one incident that set him off to leave Wake for Arizona? I remember he was suspended for a while during his second season, but no particular reason was publicly given for it.

He wasn't a good fighter

I heard something about getting into a fight with another one of the players, but wasn't sure if it was just hearsay or not. I was 16 when all this went down so I didn't know any exact details. I just remember him being okay at times for us, and then the next thing I knew he was 1st team All American at Arizona.

Wasnt it either Jerry Braswell or Tony Rutland he got into the fight with, about a girlfriend or something? Or am I thinking of a completely different story?

The rumor was that he got into a fight with Joe Amonette.

The other rumor is that Braswell banged Rutland girlfriend (or vice versa), and that caused drama on the court.

The rumor was that he got into a fight with Joe Amonette.

The other rumor is that Braswell banged Rutland girlfriend (or vice versa), and that caused drama on the court.

Thanks. That was a few years before my time, so I wasnt quite sure.

We've had pretty bad luck with basketball players named Woods.

We've had good luck with female golfers named Woods.

He was pretty depressed and felt the school was not the right fit for him, along with other issues.

He lived nextdoor to me at Wake for a short period. He was an asshat back then. I recall the story being that he got in a fight in practice and was out of control.

He was pretty depressed and felt the school was not the right fit for him, along with other issues.

Yeah, this. He was a nice guy, but seemed like he had some depression issues and felt kind of isolated at wake and being here exacerbated the problem more than helping it. Going to a larger school was better for him.

Loved the moment that he blocked Jahidi White in the final seconds to beat Georgetown. I have never seen an athlete more happy.

Playing overseas according to Wikipedia.
Someone (here or on the other board) saw him in a chain restaurant in Florida in the off season a few years ago.

Trying to remember where the poster saw him....pretty sure it was some place a grown up shouldn't admit to eating at like Red Robin.

I saw him at a bar near Clearwater back in 2004.

He was a huge pussy and a headcase. Not a good combo. Plus he was TD 2.0 in his mind and Stan King 2.0 in real life.

The Rutland v Braswell story is what crushed the dreams of final four. Not enough poon to go around at MSD I guess.

Reactions: ITK
I seem to recall a story about Woods ignoring Odom one day in the clubhouse while playing playstation and Odom picking the playstation up and throwing it across the room. Woods is the reason I rooted for Duke over Arizona in the NC in 2001. I couldn't bear to see Woods get a championship. He was so unpleasant in every interaction I had with him at Wake.

Back