• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shelton Mitchell Article

Mitchell met Paul, a five-time NBA All-Star, when he was 14 and playing in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions in Chapel Hill.

“I see a lot of my game in him, except Shelton is way more athletic than I ever was,” Paul said in an email through a Los Angeles Clippers spokesman.

Mitchell’s relationship with Paul has something to do with his affinity for Wake Forest. Paul starred at Wake Forest for two seasons, leading the school to its first No. 1 national ranking, before being selected fourth overall in the 2005 NBA draft.

The Clippers guard started an AAU team called the CP3 All Stars for four age groups in 2007. Since he was 15, Mitchell has played for the team, which travels across the country in the summer.

Mitchell talks to Paul occasionally, and his last conversation with the NBA star was just days after the commitment to Wake Forest.

“He was happy,” Mitchell said of Paul. “He said he felt it coming, but he wasn’t going to say anything to me. He said (Wake Forest) was a great place for me but for me to do what’s best for me. He didn’t want to be in my ear.”

Paul affirmed that.

“He isn’t making his decision because of me,” Paul said. “He comes from a great family. He has two wonderful parents who’ve always stayed on him and made sure he does everything the right way. He definitely has a chance to be special.”

best part:

Wake Forest currently sits 9-6 overall and 2-1 in the ACC in [Redacted]’s third season, but last season he was on one of the hottest seats in ACC coaching. Helms said he’d talked to Mitchell about the possibility of a coaching change.

“Would that change anything?” Helms said. “Honestly, I don’t know if it changes it because he’s loved (Wake Forest) from the first day he went on campus.”

Mitchell, who has been recruited primarily by 12th-year Wake Forest assistant coach Jeff Battle, said his commitment to the Deacons is strong, and once his mind is made up there’s no wavering.

best part:

Wake Forest currently sits 9-6 overall and 2-1 in the ACC in [Redacted]’s third season, but last season he was on one of the hottest seats in ACC coaching. Helms said he’d talked to Mitchell about the possibility of a coaching change.

“Would that change anything?” Helms said. “Honestly, I don’t know if it changes it because he’s loved (Wake Forest) from the first day he went on campus.”

Mitchell, who has been recruited primarily by 12th-year Wake Forest assistant coach Jeff Battle, said his commitment to the Deacons is strong, and once his mind is made up there’s no wavering.

Beat me to it.

Sounds like a great kid. A little chippy (good). Loaded with talent and, seemingly, leadership skills...

There's also this article in the News Observer... (Same article?)

I like this! Apparently he is committed to Wake Forest - not Jeff [Redacted]. Good job Coach Battle!

From the article - Wake Forest currently sits 9-6 overall and 2-1 in the ACC in [Redacted]’s third season, but last year he was on one of the hottest seats in ACC coaching. Helms said he’d talked to Mitchell about the possibility of a coaching change. “Would that change anything?” Helms said. “Honestly, I don’t know if it changes it because he’s loved (Wake Forest) from the first day he went on campus.” Mitchell, who has been recruited primarily by 12th-year Wake Forest assistant coach Jeff Battle, said his commitment to the Deacons is strong, and once his mind is made up there’s no wavering.

The excerpt below about Chris Paul's involvement is also impressive. He did not push Shelton to attend Wake. Previous statements had made it sound like CP was recruiting for Buzz. That bothered me, because it's obvious that Buzz is not capable of mentoring/developing talent on or off the court. The article reveals that CP is supporting Shelton and only wants what's best for him. Once again, CP reveals the character (and culture) that RW and Buzz lack.

Also from the article - Mitchell talks to Paul occasionally, and his last conversation with the NBA star was just days after the commitment to Wake Forest.
“He was happy,” Mitchell said of Paul. “He said he felt it coming, but he wasn’t going to say anything to me. He said (Wake Forest) was a great place for me but for me to do what’s best for me. He didn’t want to be in my ear.” Paul affirmed that. “He isn’t making his decision because of me,” Paul said. “He comes from a great family. He has two wonderful parents who’ve always stayed on him and made sure he does everything the right way. He definitely has a chance to be special.”

Last edited:
Article was on the recruiting thread, but I posted it here because a lot of folks don't read the recruiting thread. Good article though. Talks about his relationship with CP3 and affinity for WFU.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/14/3788918/cuthbertson-star-shelton-mitchell.html

From the article - “He’s going to be an extension of his coach, and players like him are valuable because he has two things: a winning gene and the ability to be your captain.”

OK. This statement bothers me. An extension of Buzz? We have GOT to get this young man (and the rest of the team) a real coach!

MitchellIN!
BuzzOUT! till he's gone...

Back