• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K, just shut up

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
"This is an assault on tradition," Krzyzewski said. "What sets us apart from the pros? What sets us apart from the rest of the world? Intercollegiate sports is really something that only the United States has. No other country has that. And our thing is based on all the right values: loyalty, honesty, tradition. The branding that you have gotten from doing that has elevated the academic institutions that those athletic programs represent. And doing things the way we're doing it now, based on money, I think it takes away from the academic missions and the innocence that an academic institution has."

http://deadspin.com/5976169/mike-kr...y-honesty-and-tradition-in-college-basketball

Anything against conference realignment is good with me. I just want good ACC basketball back

Even when I kind of agree with his underlying point, he sounds like such a whiny pretentious dick when he makes it.

So is he going to lead the charge to stop offering scholarships to student athletes who only plan to stay for one year?

My take is it isn't so much about MD, but the corrupting influence of money on college sports. He's right 'bout that. But that ship sailed long ago for major conferences. I think the only question is to what extent can "we" sort of contain the corruption. As long as that's a concern and a possibility, I'm not opposed to anyone trying to maintain some distinction between college sports and professional sports. But over time it's getting harder to see and do, it seems.

College Basketball coaches are full of shit.

Rick Pitino in October 2011: "My problem is not them leaving," he said. "My problem is you did it in 48 hours. Don't run away with a girl after one date when you've been dating someone else for three or four years. You've been dating this woman for 30 years, show a little respect."

Pitino is a native New Yorker, so envisioning the league without one of its bedrock teams has been unfathomable.

"I can't picture the Big East without Syracuse. I can picture the Big East without Pittsburgh. It's tough for me to understand (Syracuse) since the alumni base is this area and Long Island."

"Syracuse is playing Clemson tonight on TV!" he said in mock excitement. "It's not Syracuse-Georgetown. Syracuse will play Florida State tonight! N.C. State! Wake Forest!"

College Basketball coaches are full of shit.

Rick Pitino in October 2011: "My problem is not them leaving," he said. "My problem is you did it in 48 hours. Don't run away with a girl after one date when you've been dating someone else for three or four years. You've been dating this woman for 30 years, show a little respect."

Pitino is a native New Yorker, so envisioning the league without one of its bedrock teams has been unfathomable.

"I can't picture the Big East without Syracuse. I can picture the Big East without Pittsburgh. It's tough for me to understand (Syracuse) since the alumni base is this area and Long Island."

"Syracuse is playing Clemson tonight on TV!" he said in mock excitement. "It's not Syracuse-Georgetown. Syracuse will play Florida State tonight! N.C. State! Wake Forest!"

I still respect K a hell of a lot more then I do Pitino.

It's not like Louisville was a Big East stalwart either.

Different subject, but the thread title still applies... K has been bitching that the Duke students aren't showing up for games to his satisfaction and aren't being loud enough. So he told the facilities folks to sell 400 tickets in the student section to the general public - to teach them a lesson. Spoiled much?

I'm sure Coach K was bitching about money ruling college hoops when his American Express commercials aired during the Final Four.

"This is an assault on tradition," Krzyzewski said. "What sets us apart from the pros? What sets us apart from the rest of the world? Intercollegiate sports is really something that only the United States has. No other country has that. And our thing is based on all the right values: loyalty, honesty, tradition. The branding that you have gotten from doing that has elevated the academic institutions that those athletic programs represent. And doing things the way we're doing it now, based on money, I think it takes away from the academic missions and the innocence that an academic institution has."

http://deadspin.com/5976169/mike-kr...y-honesty-and-tradition-in-college-basketball

He's a hypocrite when he says things like this. Claiming that honesty and loyalty are a part of college sports is a crock of shit when there's that much money involved.

is he talking about academic intergirty at Duke or NC Central, where the bball team takes its classes?

Back