• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Funny Childress story from Clemson

one4theroad

Reaction score
Randolph's freshman year he was not a starter. We were playing at Clemson. Odom calls his number and Chill enters the game. He sets up in the corner, gets the ball, and launches a 3 that catches nothing but air. He runs back down the court and yells to Odom, "Don't take me out coach, I'm hot!"

That was from at the game at Alabama his freshman year.

We played at Bama his freshman year in December and that anecdote was from that game.

Coach had put him with orders to only go play good D. Then he launched the airball. Odom told the story at a Deacon Club lunch years ago

Didn't remember that Childress didn't start as a freshman. He was already one of my favorite players in the ACC at that time. He averaged 14 pts off the bench playing 24.4 min a game.

And I heard the story in reference to a game where he was 0-10 from the field, finally hit a FG and yelled it to Odom on his way back after the make.

Who knows ... dont let the facts get in the way of a good story! :)

one of my favorite Chill moments was from the first game of the 95 ACC tourney vs Duke. Duke had jumped on us early (I think we were down 18 mid way through the first half) and Odom calls a time out. It was extremely quiet....noon game, 1 vs 8/9, Duke was down that year & didn't bring many fans, and the WF fans were stunned by the lop-sided start. Chill yells at his teammates in the huddle......"Give me the ball.....EVERY DAMN TIME!". It seemed like it echoed. Chill proceeded to immediately shoot us back in the game. We led @ halftime & blew them out in the 2nd half.

That was from at the game at Alabama his freshman year.

This is correct. ^^^

What I remember is I had just graduated and 4 miserable years of basketball (which still doesn't match the Bzdick era) and was watching a game against Clemson (1990-91) at Littlejohn and Childress nailed a 3 late in the game to either take the lead or seal the victory and something in me knew that Wake was back at that moment. It was the vibe of the shot.

one of my favorite Chill moments was from the first game of the 95 ACC tourney vs Duke. Duke had jumped on us early (I think we were down 18 mid way through the first half) and Odom calls a time out. It was extremely quiet....noon game, 1 vs 8/9, Duke was down that year & didn't bring many fans, and the WF fans were stunned by the lop-sided start. Chill yells at his teammates in the huddle......"Give me the ball.....EVERY DAMN TIME!". It seemed like it echoed. Chill proceeded to immediately shoot us back in the game. We led @ halftime & blew them out in the 2nd half.

I think that was the greatest single performance in a game I have ever seen. We were down 20 at like the 9 minute mark of the 1st half and it was the Randolph Childress 3 point barrage (with one Larue 3 thrown in) and next thing you know we are tied at the half.

This was awesome. The whole tournament. Sucked he got the flu during the NCAAs. This team and the 1996 team before Rutland blew out his knee in the ACC champ game were great teams that got snakebite at the wrong time.

Chill ended up with 40 points that game.
I listened to it on the radio while travelling.
Got to see the next 2 games in person.
What a great 3 days of Wake basketball

This is correct. ^^^

What I remember is I had just graduated and 4 miserable years of basketball (which still doesn't match the Bzdick era) and was watching a game against Clemson (1990-91) at Littlejohn and Childress nailed a 3 late in the game to either take the lead or seal the victory and something in me knew that Wake was back at that moment. It was the vibe of the shot.

This is correct. This was the game where Chill wouldn't allow us to lose a game that we typically did. The attitude surrounding the program changed after this game. We were going to be winners.

Many good memories from the '95 Tourney- Chill floating in the lane to beat the Tar Holes and win the title was the best!

Chill scored 107 points in that 3 game ACC Tourney if I am correct.

In the Duke game we were down 17. I'm pretty sure he didn't yell "give me the damn ball" then, that was at the end of the UNC game (to Rusty, after he turned it over, it was caught on camera) two days later. In the Duke game timeout, he told the team they could help him or get the heck out of the way. Believe we were tied or up by 2 at half.

Chill ended up with 40 points that game.
I listened to it on the radio while travelling.
Got to see the next 2 games in person.
What a great 3 days of Wake basketball

Absolutely the best three days of Wake basketball ever. We beat Duke, Virginia and then Carolina for the Championship. The only way it could have been only slightly better would be beating State in the second game.

Now, we can't even beat Clemson.

Back