• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

88; 3-31; 6; 11

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Sadly, those are stats of the freshmen not named Devin Thomas from last night:

88 Minutes Played
3-31 Shooting
6 TO's
11 Points

Put it behind you, guys. Beat VT.

I can't wait to see how good these freshmen can be when they're playing for a real coach who can motivate them, develop their talents, and put them in the best positions to win games.

And CJ was 2/7.

Pretty solid recipe for disaster when McKie and Devin are your only effective players and both of them get in foul trouble early. The 4th on Devin was maybe one of the worst calls I've seen this year, although the "blocking" foul on Cav was nearly as bad.

Yeah that fourth foul call on Devin was hilariously bad. It was off the ball and not anywhere near where the play was, and I'm not even sure that there was anymore than those two guys standing next to each other. I don't even remember the Clemson guy trying to go anywhere, nor do I remember Devin holding him or really even touching him.

I can't wait to see how good these freshmen can be when they're playing for a real coach who can motivate them, develop their talents, and put them in the best positions to win games.

Better hibernate for a couple years, then, because Bzzz isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The AD has made that abundantly clear.

Yeah that fourth foul call on Devin was hilariously bad. It was off the ball and not anywhere near where the play was, and I'm not even sure that there was anymore than those two guys standing next to each other. I don't even remember the Clemson guy trying to go anywhere, nor do I remember Devin holding him or really even touching him.

Exactly. Rewatched it a few times along with the Cav blocking foul (compared to the McKie charge). Booker's leaning on Devin and Devin's leaning back, barely any contact and Devin had just entered the game. Just a completely ridiculous call. That and the 1 second dunk seemed like the killers of the game for us. Devin was finally finishing inside and he can't even get 20 minutes of pt. At least Washington got some quality minutes...

The truth of the matter is that for the most part, they have decent skill attributes, but it is a class of role players I am afraid.

CMM/Devin have the potential to get above that. We will see.

Maybe Moto too. All seven are role players as freshmen, which is fine.

One or two need to break out next year for us to be NIT good though, and it needs to be three to make the NCAAs eventually. Hopefully Shelton can be the third, but that's a lot of pressure, and we're also two full seasons away from the mid-point of his freshman year.

The truth of the matter is that for the most part, they have decent skill attributes, but it is a class of role players I am afraid.

CMM/Devin have the potential to get above that. We will see.

I don't know what's going on with CMM. I wonder if missing the game-winner against BC spooked him... Scouting report seems to be out that ball pressure will get to him. Clemson doesn't press and they pressed him, crowding him seems to take him out of the game if he misses a shot or two. He beat his man twice on great moves but couldn't finish last night and it looked like he shut down.

Then of course there's Devin. After spending 3 games looking like he couldn't finish anything but an open layup he catches a baseline pass on his weak side, pulls a one-step baseline dribble and dunks it on a guy. So much potential.

One or two need to break out next year for us to be NIT good though, and it needs to be three to make the NCAAs eventually. Hopefully Shelton can be the third, but that's a lot of pressure, and we're also two full seasons away from the mid-point of his freshman year.

They need to do more than breakout...we've got to replace CJ's offense PLUS a lot more in order to be a NIT team next year.

I say it over and over. What if Brownell, Donahue, even Gregory was the Wake Coach? I am sure we would see game to game improvements among the freshman. With Bzz, I feel like everything is the same, and the kids have not gotten much better if at all. Thomas might be the exception. But what about CMM hailed as the program savior?

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that no one who knows what they're talking about did hail any of these freshmen as a program savior, yet everyone's opinions get lumped together so that it can be difficult to discern who said what.

Here are the facts:

1) None of these freshmen were RSCI top 50. The vast majority of impact freshmen fall within that window.
2) Only two of the 7 were top 100: CMM (75th) and Moto (90th). That ranking generally means potential (50% shot) 2nd/3rd team all-ACC as a senior, maybe as a junior if they really break out.
3) Those rankings make those players the 16th and 18th ranked ACC players in this year's freshman class. 22nd and 25th if you count Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, and ND.

They could turn into excellent players. But what you see is what you get when you're playing 7 freshmen large minutes to the point where you're 334th of 347 in experience (average experience of 0.91 years).

And I'm not going to make excuses, but...oh yeah, that's clearly [Redacted]'s fault that we're still that young in year 3.

Seems to me that we had quite a few players transfer that would have done a good job filling in for these young freshmen.

Part of the problem is that no one who knows what they're talking about did hail any of these freshmen as a program savior, yet everyone's opinions get lumped together so that it can be difficult to discern who said what.
Bz seemed to hail them as saviors all year last year, but I think it was "savior after 4 years of my culture and coaching" more than instant savior success. This is year one of the Bz 4 year plan endorsed by Wellman. I don't see Bz going any time soon, especially with a bona fide savior coming in 2 years.

Bz seemed to hail them as saviors all year last year, but I think it was "savior after 4 years of my culture and coaching" more than instant savior success. This is year one of the Bz 4 year plan endorsed by Wellman. I don't see Bz going any time soon, especially with a bona fide savior coming in 2 years.

The only reason why we're not still in the [Redacted] Zone is that we play in the ACC. But no worries, we'll be back soon enough.

Glad to know that Wellman's master plan was to have us completely suck for 5 years before any hope of mediocrity would arrive.

We were playing so poorly last night that we somehow turned ESPNU's broadcast team into a bunch of Bz apologists. They were rambling about Bz having to deal with roster turnover and young players while we were busy shooting under 20% from the floor.

Back