• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GROBE OVERPAID, SELF SERVING VIDEO AT WAKE OFFICIAL WEBSITE: SUCCESS THE WAKE WAY

memphisslim

Reaction score
Wake Forest Sports.Com has released a self-serving video showing Grobe, Lobo, Knorr and other coaches and clips of games, featuring cuts of Deacon practices. The article says that Grobe has built a successful football program: the Wake way. But he is at or near .500; 4 straight losing seasons; we cannot compete with good teams such as FSU, 52-0, Clemson, NC State, ND or even Vanderbilt with a bowl game at stake. Embarassing loses, such as in 2010, like during the Caldwell years, and going back further, such as during the Chuck Mills years.

I read in media sources that Grobe is being paid $2.2 million dollars; he told Collins in MTOW that he was satisfied, that he did not plan to change anything, that some muffed plays made the difference mainly--but how about losing 52-0. That kind of loss is Bz territory. He indicated that all the staff would be back, although he admitted that we didn't run or pass the ball well--we set the ACC record for punts with 95, I believe.

We cannot afford $2.2 million a year for a coach with 4 straight losing years; that is unconscionable. Plus the staff for the 4 year losing year. The website features Grobe holding the ACC championship trophy of 2006--why not Cal Stoll of 1970, I was here then.

The coach of capable teams which made bowls, such as San Diego St. or San Jose St. reportedly made something over $300000; another Division I coach whose team made a bowl made a somewhat similar reasonable amount. I believe the coach of N. Illinois who is going to NC State and whose team made the Orange Bowl made something over $400000. Reference was made to these coaches and salaries in this forum in another blog, I recall. A very successful Division II coach, which is called the Championship Series, such as ASU plays in, reportedly made about $250000, and I believe he had won two national championships.

We fire Coach Bz, we have one year left on his contract; we may still be paying on Gaudio's contract; then we have to pay for a new third basketball coach.

How can we pay and why are we paying so much money for mediocrity, where a .500 record is trumpeted as great success in football and we have not even had that in 4 years, but we have been paying for it.

It's not Division II. It's FCS, which is the old Division I-AA. Still Division I. San Diego State, San Jose State and Northern Illinois are not in BCS conferences, hence the difference in compensation. FCS schools don't have big TV contracts, therefore resulting in smaller salaries, smaller budgets. You have to pay coaches when they have successful seasons in order to keep them there, as well as keep your head coaching salary competitive with other teams in your league and/or level. If schools aren't competitive in their compensation, it makes the job less desirable when the job opens up.

And in terms of Wake Forest Football History, Jim Grobe is most successful coach in recent history. Most bowl games in the shortest amount of time. The staff that started in 2001 transformed the program a great amount, resulting in multiple bowl appearances, an ACC Championship, as well as multiple significant facilities upgrades that have made Wake Forest Football more competitive in the recruiting realm. Not an argument for or against, just facts.

And in terms of Wake Forest Football History, Jim Grobe is most successful coach in recent history. Most bowl games in the shortest amount of time. The staff that started in 2001 transformed the program a great amount, resulting in multiple bowl appearances, an ACC Championship, as well as multiple significant facilities upgrades that have made Wake Forest Football more competitive in the recruiting realm. Not an argument for or against, just facts.

It's my understanding that the 2006 season just sped up the improvements to the stadium.

Also notice how all of this is in the past tense. He won the Orange Bowl. We almost lost to Liberty this year, and that's just one of many games that result in facepalms

Grobe has set the table nicely for the next guy. I'd like to be that guy.

Grobe may push that table over. I'd definitely agree if he had moved on after one, two, or three losing seasons.

NazTDeac was on One Shining Moment.

Grobe may push that table over. I'd definitely agree if he had moved on after one, two, or three losing seasons.

Two years ago we were a field goal away from the ACC championship game. Get real. It is not the fire sale you think it is. Spend your angst on basketball. We will be better on the gridiron next year.

Two years ago we were a field goal away from the ACC championship game. Get real. It is not the fire sale you think it is. Spend your angst on basketball. We will be better on the gridiron next year.

Haha. I love that line. Two seasons ago, we had a frontloaded schedule and fell apart again at the end.

Back