• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Birthday - Muhammed Ali

muhammad-ali-stands-over-sonny-liston-in-1964.jpg

One of the best sports photos ever

I've recorded his fight against Zora Foley and watched a bit of it. Have seen several of his other early bouts. I think - and this is contentious, mind - that he is the most phenomenally-gifted athlete the US has EVER produced. That's right - take a step to the left, Michael Jordan ... :)

Perfect fighting machine. Brains, quickness and a hard right hand when he needed it. I think his jab was only equalled by Larry Holmes.

muhammad-ali-stands-over-sonny-liston-in-1964.jpg

One of the best sports photos ever

Was this Lewiston, the fight when Jack Nilon was Liston's "manager?"

Paging RJ. Might want to go PM on this one to protect the innocent. Or, ostensibly innocent.

Last edited:

i remember when he came out at the OB some bro sitting next to us shouted out "AWW MAN, WE'VE GOT THEM SHAKING ALREADY!" as loud as he could. ain't gonna lie, i lolled a little bit. then i felt bad.

Was this Lewiston, the fight when Jack Nilon was Liston's "manager?"

Paging RJ. Might want to go PM on this one to protect the innocent. Or, ostensibly innocent.

Jack Nilon was Liston's manager. Jack ran Nilon Brothers the concessions company for The Vet. Not that the bid for The Vet was rigged or anything but a buddy told me, there were millions of dollars between the other bids, but Jack's bid beat the next highest bid by under $10,000 in an eight figure bid.

He must have has really sharp pencils to be that accurate.

Of course vendors at The Vet were unionized. What a shock, Bob Nilon (Jack's brother) was the organizer and president of the union.

I'll always remember what Joe Frazier said about him after the "Thrilla in Manila". He said (roughly, I'm too lazy to look it up) "Lordy, Lordy, he's a great champion. I hit him with punches that would bring down the walls of a city."

About 12-15 years ago a buddy of mine was doing the music for the first Home for the Holidays Xmas special that highlighted adopting kids. In the audience was a bunch of people who had adopted two, three or even a dozen kids. Then they announced Ali, the place went nuts. He was there with his wife and their young adopted child.

He was long into his illness but still had it in his heart to open his home to a child.

Jack Nilon was Liston's manager. Jack ran Nilon Brothers the concessions company for The Vet. Not that the bid for The Vet was rigged or anything but a buddy told me, there were millions of dollars between the other bids, but Jack's bid beat the next highest bid by under $10,000 in an eight figure bid.

He must have has really sharp pencils to be that accurate.

Of course vendors at The Vet were unionized. What a shock, Bob Nilon (Jack's brother) was the organizer and president of the union.

I got to meet him in the locker room of the Salem Civic Center (VA) when I was about 9 or 10. That would have been in the early 70's. He was fighting an exhibition fight, and it wasn't that long after he skipped out of Vietnam. I think he had recently lost to Frazier, but I can't remember. Anyway, he was nice to me, but I recall that he wasn't very popular at the time. I think he went over the line a little on Frazier....I recall him calling him an animal and stuff like that. But I agree he was the greatest.

Back