• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC vs Maryland heating up

Jurisdiction is an interesting question with the case, but I'd be surprised if there's not a clause in the ACC charter or bylaws that says any claims will be litigated in North Carolina.

ETA: Even beyond the typical qualification that Maryland has clearly engaged in substantial activity in North Carolina. They've been in the conference since 1953 and have played literally thousands of sporting events here.

Last edited:
Venue is huge in this case. This is not a surprising move, but not one likely to be successful. The ACC likely chose very carefully where to file.

Chris Korman ‏@ChrisKorman
Maryland AG Gansler also said he is confident Terps will pay less than $10 million total to leave ACC, through trial or settlement.

Maybe if Maryland filed suit in Alaska.

If the state allows the school to enter into agreements such as conference affiliations without house/senate/assembly/governor review, they shouldn't be able to come in after the fact and complain about parts of the agreement they don't like.

Venue is huge in this case. This is not a surprising move, but not one likely to be successful. The ACC likely chose very carefully where to file.

Yeah the ACC's legal counsel is very, very good.

Maryland would be silly not to try to move it though obviously.

"The athletic program is carrying a very large debt. I inherited the debt and we’ll work through it. $51.9 million as of January 18 which was the last update that I have and the Wolfpack Club is carrying $17.4."

Take a guess as to who said it. Shocking.

Maryland paying any less than $50 mil would be devastating to the ACC. FSU and Clemson would be gone the day after.

Initially, I was disappointed. Maryland represents ACC tradition, and it's always difficult to buck tradition. However, as I've accepted the changes, I see lots of positives. Pitt, for example, is a much better school and is only an hour further away. In the end, we'll come out ahead. Actually, with MD's financial troubles, we both might come out ahead.

"The athletic program is carrying a very large debt. I inherited the debt and we’ll work through it. $51.9 million as of January 18 which was the last update that I have and the Wolfpack Club is carrying $17.4."

Take a guess as to who said it. Shocking.

Please tell me you don't think Debbie Yow racked up $51.9 Million in debt for NCSU since getting here. She's actually reduced it.

Initially, I was disappointed. Maryland represents ACC tradition, and it's always difficult to buck tradition. However, as I've accepted the changes, I see lots of positives. Pitt, for example, is a much better school and is only an hour further away. In the end, we'll come out ahead. Actually, with MD's financial troubles, we both might come out ahead.

As the head of the Terrapin Club in Pittsburgh, in what way is Pitt better than Maryland?

Please tell me you don't think Debbie Yow racked up $51.9 Million in debt for NCSU since getting here. She's actually reduced it.

I didn't say she racked it up, however she is laying the foundation for the future. As to your second point, I'll go the "See It When I Believe It" approach. That being said, welcome back. You never did respond to my article where I showed how the debt at Maryland was created by Debbie Yow, after initially saying that was fabricated by Maryland fans. I'd love for you to comment on that at some time. Thanks!

Back