• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#BuzzOut Website: FireBz.com. "3 year pattern that needed to be addressed" R Wellman

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
#BuzzOut Website: FireBz.com. "3 year pattern that needed to be addressed" R Wellman

(Update: FireBz.com)

I want to create a very simple page to compile the main (objective) arguments of the #BuzzOut campaign.

Here is a sample/first-draft of what I envision for the front page:

77w9pmF.png

I had planned to compile the graphs/stats I have posted over the past two years at the end of the season; this page would be an effective way to do so & after some further thought, now is the time.

Some questions:

- I am creating this in iWeb (something I'm new to). If I have the site files, is there anybody with the technical knowledge out there willing to help me out with the hosting & willing to work with me to update it once a week between now and the end of the season to keep the statistics current?

- Legally... Is there anything being risked? What about with using KP's stats, etc? Is the fact that there's nothing for-profit about this make a difference?

- What kind of costs are going to be associated with getting this live? Would I have any support for the domain registration & a few months of hosting? Anything else I'm missing (promoting the site, etc?)

Obviously I'd like for this to be a collaborative effort so all input/advice is welcome and appreciated. We'll tentatively set a goal of having something done on this by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
Serious question. Why not just do this on Facebook and avoid any costs or technical hurdles? You might also receive significantly more traffic.
You won't have the interactivity you might achieve with a traditional site but the positives might outweigh the negatives.

Wish you well!

Serious question. Why not just do this on Facebook and avoid any costs or technical hurdles? You might also receive significantly more traffic.
You won't have the interactivity you might achieve with a traditional site but the positives might outweigh the negatives.

Wish you well!

Exactly the kind of advice/direction I'm looking for. I have ~20 minutes invested into the design you see above. Whatever will spread the information most effectively is what we'll pursue. A quick point, though... My intention to create this for the end of the season is aimed directly at Ron Wellman and his superiors. A social media site as a base could be a double-edged sword.

Two cons to FB/social-based page:

1- Dismissed/not seen by non-Facebook users (as I fear information posted on this site may be... especially after the registration & viewing rules changed). I imagine the aforementioned group I'm targeting are far less likely to be active facebookers/tweeters.

2- I have done the work on the information that's going to be posted. Its solid material, though truthfully, I think there is a very limited # of people who care enough to work on sharing/spreading it. Simply put: I know the site/information will be quality... I don't want it to be judged by the quantity of the support it receives.

I think it would be counter-productive if we had ~100 'likes' or 'shares' (and that's all I'm confident we'd get) because I think that would be too easy for RW (and others) to dismiss as the lunatic fringe. Alternatively, if we have a site without a page/view-count, I'd be more confident in sending it to decision-makers, media members, etc.

I want to create a very simple page to compile the main (objective) arguments of the #BuzzOut campaign.

Here is a sample/first-draft of what I envision for the front page:

77w9pmF.png

I had planned to compile the graphs/stats I have posted over the past two years at the end of the season; this page would be an effective way to do so & after some further thought, now is the time.

Some questions:

- I am creating this in iWeb (something I'm new to). If I have the site files, is there anybody with the technical knowledge out there willing to help me out with the hosting & willing to work with me to update it once a week between now and the end of the season to keep the statistics current?

- Legally... Is there anything being risked? What about with using KP's stats, etc? Is the fact that there's nothing for-profit about this make a difference?

- What kind of costs are going to be associated with getting this live? Would I have any support for the domain registration & a few months of hosting? Anything else I'm missing (promoting the site, etc?)

Obviously I'd like for this to be a collaborative effort so all input/advice is welcome and appreciated. We'll tentatively set a goal of having something done on this by the end of the weekend.
There is a slight risk of copyright issues with using KP's information but taking it and changing the format and not simply disclosing it should be derivative enough to not be an issue. If it were a violation, you could possibly claim that you're doing it for a critique, satire, or educational purpose but there is basically no issue unless you post all of KP's info without any changes. Also attribute to him/his site if you use any of his proprietary information just in case. Don't really see any defamation issues unless you make up things about WF, Buzz, Wellman. But even then there's a higher burden for them to prove defamation due to being public figures. Also, as you already know, don't use any of WF's IP (logos, workmark, slogans, etc.) as they'll be quick to have a cease and desist letter drafted for you.

Going to have to pay for the domain name, some other random registration fees probably, hosting probably unless you can find a free host but I think that is enough. I haven't done a website in a while so I'm not sure how much everything is or what is involved now days.

Last edited:
I think if you have a KenPom account then you can use the information as you would like.

I think if you have a KenPom account then you can use the information as you would like.
Yeah, check out the user agreement. I don't have an account so no clue what the terms of use for his info are. I'd be surprised if you can freely disseminate all of it to the public though because then no one would have to buy an account except one person.

Nice work, man. I like that you're keeping it simple. I think it would serve well as a quick and dirty resource for the press and bloggers writing about Wake basketball.

Additional Terms of Service for Subscribers

A. THIS IS AN INDIVIDUAL SUBSCRIPTION. You cannot share your password with anyone else. The Web Site reserves the right to limit access for each Subscriber to a fixed number of physical locations or machines or to a specific number of simultaneous logons.

B. Subscriptions are annual, non-recurring, and will expire one year from their purchase.

C. All subscription fees are non-refundable. The Web Site reserves the right to make changes to its content at any time. If the Web Site temporarily reduces or eliminates the charge for content or access that you are currently paying for under different terms, you will not receive a refund.
It also has this before the "Subscribers" section:

Copyrights and Trademarks
A. All materials contained on the Web Site are owned by the Web Site, www.kenpom.com. All rights reserved.

B. No person is authorized to use, copy, distribute, or redistribute any portion the Web Site including related graphics. "Fair use" of information contained on the Web Site is allowed provided kenpom.com is cited as the source.

C. The Web Site and other trademarks and/or service marks (including logos and designs) found on the Web Site are trademarks/service marks that identify www.kenpom.com and the goods and/or services provided by the Web Site. Such marks may not be used under any circumstances without the prior written authorization of the Web Site.

D. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit any of the content of this site, in whole or in part.

E. This website is protected from content theft by both passive and active components. Any copyright infringements of the website content and other copyrighted material will result in prosecution according to the international copyright law, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), and any other applicable law or regulation.

F. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only
you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material, and the use is non-commercial.

G. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

I think F suggests that you can use your graphs as long as you clearly cite Kenpom as the source and that the site is non-commercial.

We'll be fine. Just cite to KenPom and make sure there's no profit to be made.

While we're on the topic there's a chance that KenPom might run something about the Wake-UVA game (Wake's drought at the end and still winning) in the context of teams who have gone the longest without scoring at the end of the game and still won. That could be fairly interesting stuff.

We'll be fine. Just cite to KenPom and make sure there's no profit to be made.

While we're on the topic there's a chance that KenPom might run something about the Wake-UVA game (Wake's drought at the end and still winning) in the context of teams who have gone the longest without scoring at the end of the game and still won. That could be fairly interesting stuff.

Where'd you hear this?

When it was happening I found myself asking what the longest possible FG drought was to end a game that was still won. Good stuff.

I sent him an email and he responded that it's "more common than one might think" and that he would be interested into looking into stuff and writing about it in the context of the Wake-UVA game.

I sent him an email and he responded that it's "more common than one might think" and that he would be interested into looking into stuff and writing about it in the context of the Wake-UVA game.

I respect KenPom but I highly doubt it's "more common than one might think" to go 10:30 without a FG at the end of a game and still win.

With that being said, I am sure he researched it before he sent you a response haha.

Um... for now, I'll just say funding for this has been pledged.

As of right now, my plan is to go ahead with the site & coredeac's suggestion; it won't take much longer and having both won't hurt.

Domain-name proposals?

You can quickly search whats available here

I might go ahead and register buzzout.co and bzfacts.com

So... I just logged into my GoDaddy account for the first time in nearly two years.

This came as a surprise:

5n0nutv.png

I guess DV7 hadn't coined 'BuzzOut' yet...

So sad. How anyone with such poor job performance survives past even one year regardless of the type of employment is just unfathomable.

Back