• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Earl Weaver

I went to the Ripken statue unveiling game in September. Earl was there, as were the other legends who has their statues unveiled this summer. When they introduced him he walked out on to the field, but paused to kick some dirt on home plate for old times sake. The crowd went nuts.

A great manager....I used to love his kicking of dirt and chain smoking in the dugout. His O's teams were ones for the ages that often get overlooked.

RIP

There is a stat somewhere I'll see if I can find it. But it was showing which franchises have had the most dominant teams, in terms of # of seasons of over 95 wins or something. Obviously the Yankees were #1. But the Orioles I believe were #2 followed by a significant drop off.

Basically Weaver's teams from the late sixties to early eighties was like the most dominant 15 year stretch in history or something, in sheer terms of winning ballgames.

He was a manager before my time, but his name was on the first video game we growing up. I loved that every now and then he would come out and kick dirt on the ump.

03-87_ea_earl_weaver_basket-755802.gif

It used to be hilarious to watch Weaver in the dugout when Don Stanhouse was their closer. Stanhouse used to deep in almost every count and put other guys on base. It seemed like Weaver would smoke a pack of cigarettes even time Stanhouse entered the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stanhouse didn't average 6/7 bbs/9 IP and if he didn't walk three for every two strikeouts......not exactly what you wanted in a closer.

I thought you were exaggerating with those numbers....you weren't

Career: 5.4 BB/9, 4.8 K/9

Years in Baltimore:
1978- 6.3 BB/9, 5.1 K/9
1979- 6.3 BB/9, 4.2 K/9
1982- 5.1 BB/9, 2.7 K/9

I hadn't looked it up, but I thought it would be something like that in Baltimore. Stanhouse would come in. Weaver go into the alleyway between the dugout and clubhouse and immediately light up.

It was very funny.

I hadn't looked it up, but I thought it would be something like that in Baltimore. Stanhouse would come in. Weaver go into the alleyway between the dugout and clubhouse and immediately light up.

It was very funny.
Which is why Weaver nicknamed Stanhouse "Full Pack" because that's what he said he would smoke whenever he put Stanhouse in the game.

Sad, sad day. If you enjoy characters in sports and NSFW language, please take 3 minutes out of your day to remember a legend. My favorite manager of all-time, hands down.

Sad, sad day. If you enjoy characters in sports and NSFW language, please take 3 minutes out of your day to remember a legend. My favorite manager of all-time, hands down.

I love this video. The ump really gets under his skin when he asks how he's gonna be in the HoF... "For fucking up World Series?"

Use to love to watch Earl manage his Orioles. One of a kind indeed. RIP Earl.

The 1970 Os top three pitchers won 68 games, completed 54 and pitched nearly 900 innings. Weaver would be run out of the coutnry for trying that today.

It was also one of the greatest fielding teams of all time.

Back