• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was bzz thinking?

piratedeac92

Reaction score
1. Why is Moto firing away jump shots? Correct me if I'm wrong but my phone has Moto shooting 2-11. One of the coaches has to get a hold of him and make sure he knows not to take those kinds of shots. They are not his style. I'm all for him being in the game with his defensive tenacity and he is good when near the rim in the paint. Someone needs to let him know not to try and play hero.

2. I don't like bashing our players but I don't understand why Fish was out there. He slows down our offensive pace, especially when the ball is in his hands because his dribbling is so slow. Defensively, he is awful. Just plain awful. Short, slow and not much coordination. And because of this VT was drawing fouls off of him left and right. I know if Fish gets hot its good to have him in but the truth is when he's not hot it hurts us bad. The coach has got to do something about this.

3. Finally. This last one had me about as upset and confused as I've been since the Iona game. WHY WAS TREE ON THE BENCH THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF? I know the guy is not much of a threat offensively to score but he does everything else so well. His passing is the best I've seen a 6'8 guy ever do at wake. He can find the open guy in any situation whether its in transition or standing still. He is also a matchup nightmare with his size and ability. He literally is a point forward. And lastly...his defensive presence is amazing. He gave BC guards fits all day and his ability to disrupt the passing lanes is unlike anything I've ever seen. He has long arms, quick feet and his hands are always moving. It was his stolen pass that sealed the BC win...and he is always good for at least one or two steal and slams a game. VT was doing a lot of drive and kicks and cross-court passes today.....which are the two areas Tree creates the most havoc. It just baffles me that we have a guy as athletic and disruptive as Tree and he doesn't even play in the second half. Buzz is the most baffling idiot ever.

#buzzout!

Totally agree. Things that stood out from the game and really hurt us down the stretch.

1. Overall, we played a pretty solid game - ran our offense well, didn't have bad turnovers like we've all complained about over the past several years that became our hallmark
2. Moto has a big upside but Bzz needs to help him define his role - and he made 2 critical mistakes down the stretch - an ill advised 3 pointer and a semi-out-of-control drive in which he charged with plenty of time on the shot clock - Bzz or any coach has to let him know we have 3 point shooters and we don't need that kind of late game heroics from him in those 2 situations
3. Ridiculous that Tree wasn't in there in an "offense/defense" tradeoff down the stretch - you have to have him in there with one minute left and up 3 to guard against the 3 - simply telling your kids in the TO not to give up any 3's is not enough - have the best defensive personnel in there at that point to give you the best chance to win -
4. Why is Cav in there in the last 30 seconds? any of our other big guys gets that rebound in the last 2 seconds they either dunk it or lay it off the glass or get fouled - I have no idea what that last "shot?" was at the gun

BZZOUT

Fair points. Particularly in regards to Tree. I have no idea why he didn't change something up as we blew an 8 point lead with 10 to go.
I like that Moto is aggressive. His shot has really nice form. He just needs to learn from his mistakes and I think he will. Today was just a growing pain for him.
It's become incredibly obvious to everyone except Bz that Chase should be getting minutes only based on matchups or when having shooters on the floor is critical. If he's not making good decisions or making his shots, he's just a liability for us. It's been a few games since he's really been helpful at all.

Tree is good at driving to the hoop, which we need.

CJ Harris - nice time for a shooting slump. If he shows up today, we win going away. He was open frequently and just passed up shots as well. Time to step up SENIOR leader. Turn this shit around, despite buzz.

1. Why is Moto firing away jump shots? Correct me if I'm wrong but my phone has Moto shooting 2-11. One of the coaches has to get a hold of him and make sure he knows not to take those kinds of shots. They are not his style. I'm all for him being in the game with his defensive tenacity and he is good when near the rim in the paint. Someone needs to let him know not to try and play hero.

2. I don't like bashing our players but I don't understand why Fish was out there. He slows down our offensive pace, especially when the ball is in his hands because his dribbling is so slow. Defensively, he is awful. Just plain awful. Short, slow and not much coordination. And because of this VT was drawing fouls off of him left and right. I know if Fish gets hot its good to have him in but the truth is when he's not hot it hurts us bad. The coach has got to do something about this.

3. Finally. This last one had me about as upset and confused as I've been since the Iona game. WHY WAS TREE ON THE BENCH THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF? I know the guy is not much of a threat offensively to score but he does everything else so well. His passing is the best I've seen a 6'8 guy ever do at wake. He can find the open guy in any situation whether its in transition or standing still. He is also a matchup nightmare with his size and ability. He literally is a point forward. And lastly...his defensive presence is amazing. He gave BC guards fits all day and his ability to disrupt the passing lanes is unlike anything I've ever seen. He has long arms, quick feet and his hands are always moving. It was his stolen pass that sealed the BC win...and he is always good for at least one or two steal and slams a game. VT was doing a lot of drive and kicks and cross-court passes today.....which are the two areas Tree creates the most havoc. It just baffles me that we have a guy as athletic and disruptive as Tree and he doesn't even play in the second half. Buzz is the most baffling idiot ever.

#buzzout!

Thought he left Fischer and Cavanaugh in way too long when VT made the 8-0 run to tie at 51. Didn't seem either one was getting it done on defense during that stretch and I really wanted a timeout and subs, but not to be.

I hate that [Redacted] never seems to bench a player when they do something obviously against the flow of the offense. If Moto takes a 3 with 20 seconds on the shot clock he should be benched for it.

Chase's playing time continues to be a total mystery. Maybe [Redacted] is committed to giving him a certain number of games in his current role before giving up on him since at that point I don't know what role he'd have on the team.

As for Tree, he needs more minutes but for every deflection he gets he's also liable to get beat off the dribble or pushed around on screens and rebounding. He just doesn't have the bulk or strength yet to defend anyone with size, and because he's limited offensively it's tricky to replace a guard with him. That being said, I agree that his current usage is being poorly managed.

As for Cav over Devin at the end - that's hard to criticize. Cav did space the floor and it did get CJ a great look - with 6 seconds left you call a play to get exactly that look, you don't put in all your big guys and hope for a lucky tip in.

I've never seen CJ miss 4 completely open 3's before. Bad time for it.

I often feel like Buzz still coaches like he's in the NBA. Waits too long to call TO's instead opting to let guys "play through" it like he's got 4 quarters...follows substitution patterns to a fault despite what he sees on the court. These aren't league players...they need coaching in game.

State fans used to notice these same things with Lowe.

FG% by our team's 9 contributors:

53%
44%
42%
44%
29%
46%
40%
50%
56%

One of these things is not like the others.

29% is Cav. Who would you like to use as the back up post player at the 4 and 5? Bz doesnt have a lot of options on his bench. Maybe Washington but I'm not sure he's an upgrade on either end and his 33% (all inside 10 feet) is a wash. There are a lot of people here suggest Bz should have benched Moto for poor shot selection and generally being a freshman. Who is your next warm body?

Cav is having to fill Daniel's role and it's obviously too much for him. He's getting beaten up pretty badly, I'm sure it's hurting his shooting.

At this point I might even prefer seeing more Washington on the floor with Devin at the expense of Chase's minutes. We got killed when we went to our smaller lineup.

On the plus side, VaTech through a zone at us, we immediately went to our zone offense and ate it alive. That was nice.

Thought he left Fischer and Cavanaugh in way too long when VT made the 8-0 run to tie at 51. Didn't seem either one was getting it done on defense during that stretch and I really wanted a timeout and subs, but not to be.

The problem was that CMM picked up his 3rd foul and had to come out of the game. CJ's poor shooting night (everything was short ... wasnt getting his legs into his shot) combined with Codi on the pine didnt leave us with a lot of good options. By the time Codi got back in the game, our lead was gone. We just are not very good right now. We just lost to a bad VT team.

Cav is having to fill Daniel's role and it's obviously too much for him. He's getting beaten up pretty badly, I'm sure it's hurting his shooting.

At this point I might even prefer seeing more Washington on the floor with Devin at the expense of Chase's minutes. We got killed when we went to our smaller lineup.

Cav is also filling Carson's shoes and those are not hard to fill. He is playing as a frosh better than Carson would have as a junior.

I'll never, ever give CJ shit. He's a warrior and the backbone of our team. He's earned the right to have a bad shooting day now and then.

I agree. CJ deserves to be on the Wake teams of (slightly) old.

He was thinking, "I can't believe these morons pay me almost $1 million a year for this...suckers."

I'll never, ever give CJ shit. He's a warrior and the backbone of our team. He's earned the right to have a bad shooting day now and then.

I so agree with this. CJ has worked his tail off for Wake Forest. He is due our respect. And I think in another time and another place he would be playing on a team that had a shot at the dance.

Replace LD with CJ to give us a Teague/CJ backcourt. Replace Braswell or Goolsby with CJ and the post-Duncan era starts off stronger.

CJ was desperately needed on many of our past good to great teams. He was stuck on these. Revenge on his senior day should be mandatory no matter the state of the program.

Why do we ask these questions? Bzz is a shitbag, Goodwill coach and we try to validate his decisions as if he wasn't a sphincter sucking, cock gobbling retard.

Back