• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VA TECH LAST PLAY- WHY NOT DISH TO MCKIE FOR A LAYUP?

memphisslim

Reaction score
I know we have two threads devoted to this game already going, but the last play--we still could have won. Mckie was hot and was 30 feet away from the basket. Harris was cold shooting, you can't rely on the refs calling a foul on the final play and the area to Harris' right was wide open.

Why did Bz not call a play where his hottest shooter at least touched the ball? Why not have McKie knife in from the right either along the baseline or down the lane and have Harris dish off after he had drawn the big defender? No one was on his right. A lay up from Mckie could have done it. I have read what some others have said about the long spell during which Cav and Fisher were in and VT caught up. Despite all that, we could have and should have pulled this one out at the end.

Remember James Johnson at the Duke game knifing in to win. But, that was a different coach.

DT took a charge! Missed call! CJ gets fouled! Missed call. This one's on the refs. We played extremely well.

The Deacs did play well. Unfortunate ending. Overall they were organized, confident and executed well.

DT took a charge! Missed call! CJ gets fouled! Missed call. This one's on the refs. We played extremely well.

:noidea:

Can't tell if serious or not, but BC beat them in Blacksburg by double figures. If we played extremely well, we would've won.

It was the correct play to run. We just found yet another way to lose.

I was there and sat with the players parents. The last played happened about 25 feet from where I was sitting. I think CJ taking it all the way to the hole was the right call, with a chance for a rebound or a tip. During the game we fumbled a number of little dish-off passes, and that could have happened again.
What was strange was the way CJ attacked with both hands on the ball, almost like he was trying to dunk it, as opposed to a finger roll. I'm sure it was a function of trying to keep the ball from being knocked out of his hands.
Overall, I was very impressed with the passion and effort of the team. I've been as negative as anyone else, but today I was impressed with most of what I saw. I was there 2 years ago, and we took a beating.

It was the right call. If CJ gets makes the basket or gets fouled, you either win it there or make one for OT. Wish TV coverage had had a better angle, as I wonder if he got fouled...

I was there and sat with the players parents. The last played happened about 25 feet from where I was sitting. I think CJ taking it all the way to the hole was the right call, with a chance for a rebound or a tip. During the game we fumbled a number of little dish-off passes, and that could have happened again.
What was strange was the way CJ attacked with both hands on the ball, almost like he was trying to dunk it, as opposed to a finger roll. I'm sure it was a function of trying to keep the ball from being knocked out of his hands.
Overall, I was very impressed with the passion and effort of the team. I've been as negative as anyone else, but today I was impressed with most of what I saw. I was there 2 years ago, and we took a beating.
Interesting observation, because CJ's shooting woes today were because he wasnt getting his legs into his shot the way he normally does. Time after time, his J was short.
He clearly went up as if to dunk. I've seen him do it hundreds of times. I thought he changed it because he was contested on the way up. (1970's Atlanta Hawks fans will remember the classic Skip Caray call, "He had to change it, thus he missed it!") Maybe he didnt get the lift he expected, which kept him from going through contact and drawing a foul as he is so skilled at doing. It will be interesting to find out what he thinks about it.

Great play if he makes the shot... Wake played well today, fun watching them get better. That was a good play call by Buzz, its just a matter of CJ making the shot or Cav's tipping the ball in the basket..

You think this was painful? WVU and Cleveland St were painful. This was just another forgettable loss in the era of unwiped ass.

I have been a fan since the late 1960s. I can tell you about pain, both basketball and especially football.

Back