• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Appears bad referee call cost Deacs game at end

socaldeac

Reaction score
Just watched end of game on replay. Clearly VT last bucket was a charge. Did not see game. But, bad call.

Now, I'm not going to make excuses, but everybody knows that with all these freshman, saturdays are the toughest days to get calls under the basket.

Did I do it correctly?

Devin gave about the softest attempt to draw a charge he could. Leaning away from the contact, already falling over by the time the VT player was making contact with him. It's a shame because if he had stood his ground instead of pulling a Greg Paulus, he was in position to get the call. Right or wrong, referees aren't going to reward that.

He won't make that mistake next time.

Yes! It was a charge. There was a foul on CJ's shot too. Horrible. We could not have played better.

Was watching with Nony & I think we both saw the same thing.... Looked like Devin fell backwards before taking contact; little doubt that if he stayed in position until contact the call could have gone the other way.

Was watching with Nony & I think we both saw the same thing.... Looked like Devin fell backwards before taking contact; little doubt that if he stayed in position until contact the call could have gone the other way.

ACC road game = you lose the 50/50 calls. Every. Damned. Time.

He also fell away sideways, which made it look like he wasn't in position.

We start 3 freshmen and 2 freshmen come off the bench! I'm surprised we can play well at times!

Last edited:
Devin gave about the softest attempt to draw a charge he could. Leaning away from the contact, already falling over by the time the VT player was making contact with him. It's a shame because if he had stood his ground instead of pulling a Greg Paulus, he was in position to get the call. Right or wrong, referees aren't going to reward that.

He won't make that mistake next time.

This is correct. He was leaning back/to the side when contact occurred. He could have easily stood his ground and drawn the charges, as he was there in plenty of time. Either a block or no call. Not a charge.

It was not a charge. Sorry. Devin was not set and moved away from the contact. Pretty easy call really.

If we were a winner team, it wouldn't have been close enough for the call to matter.

The homerism on that Devin call is astounding.

Having only seen the replay a couple times, it looked like his feet were set, but he never got his body over top of his feet. At that point, it is essentially an undercut, so it was correctly called as a block. No idea about the play on CJ, though, as I never saw a good replay of that one.

Yes! It was a charge. There was a foul on CJ's shot too. Horrible. We could not have played better.

This is one of the most astonishing things I have ever read (not to mention a massive indictment of the Bz-era).

Some of you need to learn the difference in a charge and a block. Refs got this one right. The ref who made the call even signaled he undercut him.

Dumb thread.

We could have played much better, and the missed "charge" call was 50/50 at best. CJ avoided contact on his drive, that's why his two handed dunk turned into a missed layup. No reason to make excuses for this team, we shot 35% against a bad team and lost. Outside of Travis and Devin we shot like 25%.

My initial reaction on the Devin play was that it was a charge and the referee missed it.

Unfortunately, I saw the replay. It was clearly a block, as Devin didn't get his upper body square to take the contact. He had his feet set, but rotated his torso away, so he took the contact in his left shoulder/ribs rather than with his chest. He had the right idea, but he needs to practice the execution.

You have to take that square in the chest. Take it like a man so to speak. When a defender starts to fall early he will get the block call more often than not.

CJ call was 50-50. Defender jumped straight up & CJ is going forward causing the contact. Defender puts his arm forward also making it harder. You won't get that call at the end of a game & would hate it yourself if it was called against your team up one at the end of a game to put team on the line to win it. Normally that will be no called and should

Back