• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobcats Fans - Thoughts on Kidd-Gilchrist?

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Averaging 10 pts and 6 boards on the season, but the last three games he is averaging 4 pts and 4 boards. Was he a wise choice at #2 overall? Too early to tell?

Yes very wise choice at the 2. He's the youngest player in the NBA and he has incredible athleticism. He is clearly a top 3 rookie if not a top 2 rookie. He's still working on evolving his offense a little bit and is already quick and smart on defense. I could see him turning into an absolute beast.

This was a far better pick than Beal at 2.

Yes very wise choice at the 2. He's the youngest player in the NBA and he has incredible athleticism. He is clearly a top 3 rookie if not a top 2 rookie. He's still working on evolving his offense a little bit and is already quick and smart on defense. I could see him turning into an absolute beast.

This was a far better pick than Beal at 2.

I agree that it was a better pick than Beal at 2. Obviously, the Cats weren't going to get suckered into Dion Waiters at 2, either.

The only case that I think can be made is with Thomas Robinson, but Thomas Robinson is averaging just 4.6 ppg (11.7 points p40pa) on 43% 2FG with 4.4 rpg (11.1 r40pa).

For a comparison, Kidd-Gilchrist is posting 15.0 p40pa (48.6% 2FG) and 9.2 r40pa with some steals and blocks thrown in for good measure.

Gilchrist is actually, more or less, replicating his college production as an NBA. Slumps aside, I think that's kind of impressive in its own right.

One thing you see with MKG when he's on the court is that he can often bring a spark to the team even when he's not being productive. And he seems to so rarely make bad decisions on the floor. Fouling aside (and he'll get the benefit of these calls in a year or two I am sure), he seems to play such a heady game. You also need to imagine him at 21-22 years old with a few years of packing on mass - he'll be a monster. He already has figured out that he cannot go soft to the rack and addressed that (one of the few early complaints about him) - something Taylor should address as well. All in all, I think MKG was by far and away the right pick. We obviously didn't need a Lilliard (I'll take Kemba over him any day - not to say that w/out Kemba he would have been a bad pickup) and I don't think Thor has shown the demeanor folks expected for a guy that had the life-story he has. Beal is probably going to be a very good player in the league but I think MKG's ceiling is higher.

The bobcats didn't need a PG but the best Rookie is Damian Lillard, then Anthony Davis, then Bradley Beal. I feel MKG is a good little player but when the smoke and dust settles, he will be the 4th best player from this draft.

One thing you see with MKG when he's on the court is that he can often bring a spark to the team even when he's not being productive. And he seems to so rarely make bad decisions on the floor. Fouling aside (and he'll get the benefit of these calls in a year or two I am sure), he seems to play such a heady game. You also need to imagine him at 21-22 years old with a few years of packing on mass - he'll be a monster. He already has figured out that he cannot go soft to the rack and addressed that (one of the few early complaints about him) - something Taylor should address as well. All in all, I think MKG was by far and away the right pick. We obviously didn't need a Lilliard (I'll take Kemba over him any day - not to say that w/out Kemba he would have been a bad pickup) and I don't think Thor has shown the demeanor folks expected for a guy that had the life-story he has. Beal is probably going to be a very good player in the league but I think MKG's ceiling is higher.

I certainly would not.

I didn't know there was still an NBA team in Charlotte

Beal and MKG are basically tossups right now.

Lillard has been the best pick so far with Davis right behind him. Beal and MKG are right there. I think MKG has evolved a little more so far this year than Beal has.

Everyone in the top ten with the exception of Austin Rivers and arguably Thomas Robinson have been pretty solid in the time they've played.

I certainly would not.
Then we disagree. D.Lilliard has Batum, Aldridge & Hickson all averaging double figures which makes life far easier to both score and get assists. What big does Kemba have to work with in all honesty (especially who that eitehr passes out of the post or shoots from there)? What Kemba can control, he does - he is in the top 10 in virtually every category of NBA PGs. The only scoring punch(es) that the Cats have consistently are their guards. And if you had a player that could receive the ball in the interior consistently, his numbers would be even better.

Again, not to disparage Lilliard, if we didn't have Kemba, I'd have loved him.

Kemba has a better PER than Lillard for whatever that's worth.

Kemba's having an incredible year given the rest of the team. He's shooting the ball well and getting a lot of assists to be on a bad team. He facilitates the offense, has really worked on his handle, and has gotten to a point where his jumper is consistently falling from 15-20 feet. I loved Kemba when we drafted him and was a huge homer but even I didn't see this huge jump happening between his rookie year and sophomore year. Makes you wonder if he would be even better if the lockout hadn't cut out his rookie stuff before last year.

Then we disagree. D.Lilliard has Batum, Aldridge & Hickson all averaging double figures which makes life far easier to both score and get assists. What big does Kemba have to work with in all honesty (especially who that eitehr passes out of the post or shoots from there)? What Kemba can control, he does - he is in the top 10 in virtually every category of NBA PGs. The only scoring punch(es) that the Cats have consistently are their guards. And if you had a player that could receive the ball in the interior consistently, his numbers would be even better.

Again, not to disparage Lilliard, if we didn't have Kemba, I'd have loved him.

They're very different players, too.

If Lillard continues to develop, then he'll have a career than Kemba can only dream of having.

Kemba, at his stage in development is a really solid player, likely a sixth man on a playoff team. That being said, if Kemba had better players, then I think he'd play very similarly. Perhaps with better bigs he'd reveal something else in his game, but I'm not really impressed with Kemba as a PnR facilitator. He's one of the game's best PnR scorers, but we're talking about him as a PG.

Lillard dominates to the extent that he's required to, IMO; Kemba is far less effective when he's primarily facilitating.

I think the only guys that we had legit interest in at #2 were Thomas Robinson and Brad Beal. Possibly Andre Drummond (who may very well be the steal of the draft when it's all said and done), but definitely those two guys.

Kanhoji left this on my rep:

"problem is MKD probably won't eb a Bobcat when he finally matures after being the youngest player in the league. should have drafted a more ready player that could give the franch some legitimacy."

Since he can't post here I figured I would answer it publicly by saying that MKG will be here most likely 6 or 7 years at a minimum. He's got two years guaranteed with two one year options for the team. The team will undoubtedly take these options, so that's four years. The Bobcats will then be able to resign him at a lower rate than other teams because of his Bird Rights (if my interpretation of the Bird Rights under the new CBA is correct) meaning we are in the best position to get another contract out of him. I would be stunned if he weren't on the roster still when he's 25.

Someone can correct this if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that we're going to be able to keep Kemba and MKG for a pretty solid chunk of time.

Plus I'm pretty sure we can use the designated player distinction on one of Kemba or MKG to sign them to a five year extension on their rookie contract.

Kanhoji left this on my rep:

"problem is MKD probably won't eb a Bobcat when he finally matures after being the youngest player in the league. should have drafted a more ready player that could give the franch some legitimacy."

Since he can't post here I figured I would answer it publicly by saying that MKG will be here most likely 6 or 7 years at a minimum. He's got two years guaranteed with two one year options for the team. The team will undoubtedly take these options, so that's four years. The Bobcats will then be able to resign him at a lower rate than other teams because of his Bird Rights (if my interpretation of the Bird Rights under the new CBA is correct) meaning we are in the best position to get another contract out of him. I would be stunned if he weren't on the roster still when he's 25.

Someone can correct this if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that we're going to be able to keep Kemba and MKG for a pretty solid chunk of time.

what a sad little man kanhoji is.

even though i don't blame him for sticking around here since every WVU fan that has ever existed is either a pathological liar or just plain weird.

The bobcats didn't need a PG but the best Rookie is Damian Lillard, then Anthony Davis, then Bradley Beal. I feel MKG is a good little player but when the smoke and dust settles, he will be the 4th best player from this draft.

The main thing I'd argue is that SF is most talent devoid position in the league. So as far as drafting if you can get an above average SF, its more valuable than someone like Lillard, because you can replace Lillard in free agency, but its much harder to get a good SF in free agency. Sorting by PER, the top SF's this year are

Lebron, Durant, Melo, Pierce, Faried, AK47, Thaddeus Young, Matt Barnes. That's a huge dropoff after the top 4.

Part of what makes Lebron and Durant and Pierce so valuable, in addition to their talent is that they provide so much of an upgrade compared to other teams' SF's. Whereas when a team drafts MKG, they can pick up a serviceable PG very very easily. Ranked outside of the top 30 in PER as PG's are Lawson, Teague, Monta, Mo Williams, Lin, Ridnour, etc.

Kenneth Faried is in no way a 3, ever. He never plays at the 3 spot and he never shoots past the 10 ft mark.

MKG is good, I wouldn't worry about it. Lillard is like 4 years older than MKG and is a huge defensive liability right now.

MKG brings energy and life to the team at all times when he's out there. Not the greatest basketball player in the draft but dude hates losing

Back