• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finally.....

pourdeac

Reaction score
Bz finally does something to warrant hope. The NCSU radio guys were going nuts about how we were destroying NCSU's defense and getting layups. That's coaching. We saw a third and fourth scorer emerge which bodes well. Bz caught grief about Tyler Lewis but that now looks wise.

Maybe Bz has been more worried about learning now than winning....thus the odd subs. Maybe he's teaching some higher level basketball that has a steeper learning curve. Maybe it will all payoff. I saw a focused team playing like a team. They're going to have set backs, but.....I was pretty impressed tonight. The future could be bright.

We look alot better when we can make it an open court game.

Whatever else can be said, it is obvious that our guys have been working very hard. And hard work pays, eventually. One team worked really hard tonight, one did not.

Gottfried has got to be kicking himself all the way back to Raleigh tonight. It was obvious that he was resting some of his guys in the first half after he got the big lead. He assumed the game was under control and with the Tuesday following a Sunday game, plus UNC at home on Saturday, he made a huge mistake. The biggest play of the game may have been the bungled State possession at the end of the first half following a TO that resulted in a basket for us at the buzzer. That was the difference between a 16 point lead and a 12 point lead going into the locker room with a bit of momentum.

Gottfried has got to be kicking himself all the way back to Raleigh tonight. It was obvious that he was resting some of his guys in the first half after he got the big lead. He assumed the game was under control and with the Tuesday following a Sunday game, plus UNC at home on Saturday, he made a huge mistake. The biggest play of the game may have been the bungled State possession at the end of the first half following a TO that resulted in a basket for us at the buzzer. That was the difference between a 16 point lead and a 12 point lead going into the locker room with a bit of momentum.

They were getting into foul trouble. So I'm not sure it was resting as much as preserving his starters.

Not taking Leslie out when he got his 3rd was HOF dumb

Also, State's version of the Wake killing Big White Scrub was murdering us when Gott was sitting his guys with foul trouble.

We have some terrific young talent on our team.

And every dog has his day, even if that dog is a 60 year old Yorkshire Terrier named Bz.

While I'm extremely proud of the guys, let's all remember that this is just one win. Hopefully we begin to see consistently positive results and improvement by the team. I'm still Bzzz Way Out, but watching Devin's improvement, as well as CMM's to some extent, is really exciting. Let's keep the train rolling against G Tech.

The coaching did look pretty good against State. The game plan was excellent: drive right at them and get some fouls because their bench is a little suspect. We were also outstanding against their zone and just scored left and right on it. We have not attacked a zone so effectively in a long time. The passing by the bigs was beautiful, and both Devin and Moto played better than they had ever played before. And let's not forget, the State bigs against whom they were playing so well were no slouches. CMM had an excellent game, and Madison and 'Tree made key plays. Cav remains a huge liability on defense and the boards but we have no choice but to use him. The Frosh won this game with a little help from CJ and Travis. Now, let's go get one on the road.

I agree this was the biggest play. That was so sloppy on NCSU's part and a 12 point deficit feels like "now we've got a balll game" versus 16 points which feels more like "the blowout continues".

While I'm extremely proud of the guys, let's all remember that this is just one win. Hopefully we begin to see consistently positive results and improvement by the team. I'm still Bzzz Way Out, but watching Devin's improvement, as well as CMM's to some extent, is really exciting. Let's keep the train rolling against G Tech.
True, but over the past few games I think we've started to see the players think less and just play....and now the better ones are stepping up. That's what you'd expect to see with a steep learning curve. The NCSU radio guys were insinuating the Devin was playing WAY above normal and his ability, as if our our success was all fluke because of it, and I don't think that's the case. We've been seeing steady improvement, first defensively and now offensively. Now CMM seems to be stepping up. I'm suddenly not so worried about not having CJ.

The main thing though....Bz never showed that sort of thing in the past.....in 6 seasons. That is what worried me. He coached an already fundamentally sound Air Force team well, as in they didn't get worse...but his Colorado teams never "got it" and we got way worse. Now he has something real to hang his hat on.....with a predominantly freshman team. We'll see.

the pack has some of the hallmarks of a dino coached team

I don't buy the argument about State's starters not being available. The Australian kid killed us. He only plays because the other guys are in foul trouble. We did look much better last night on the offensive end. Lots of easy layups and movement off the ball. Give credit where credit is due.

Yeah the weirdest thing about that game was that during the time when State had to sit their starters, we actually didn't make much of a dent in their lead. It was just a 2nd half beat down.

I'm surprised with the title of this thread that no one made a Rock joke

Back