• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the #buzzout movement been struck a fatal blow?

Let's see what happens on the road at Tech Saturday first. Remember, a Bob Staak coached Wake team beat a highly ranked UNC team at the G-boro Coliseum, so the saying a blind squirrel may apply here.

If beating an overachieving State team is sufficient to "make all better," it speaks more to the continuing ineptitude of Wellman and Hatch. As I said on the COY thread- Dino was canned for not being successful in the post-season (at least that's the public line). So... [Redacted] is different how? Not even getting to the post-season? #madhatter.

I'm BuzzOut until the guy packs the last thing up in his office...

No but we are heading every closer to Year Four of the Bz-pocalypse...

12 is the magic number - if Bz gets to 12 wins, he'll get another year. If not, he'll get canned. Given the rest of our schedule, its very likely that Bz gets to 12 and gets a 4th year.

Wellman has succeeded in lowering the expectations of the fan base. I do not think that Bz is the right coach for Wake Forest at all. But, for the time being, it looks like we're saddled with him. Might as well go on cheering for the Deacs.

Ideally, this journeyman coach will get us to the middle of the ACC and move on to destroy another program, at which time we can bring in a real coach.

12 is the magic number - if Bz gets to 12 wins, he'll get another year. If not, he'll get canned. Given the rest of our schedule, its very likely that Bz gets to 12 and gets a 4th year.

Wellman has succeeded in lowering the expectations of the fan base. I do not think that Bz is the right coach for Wake Forest at all. But, for the time being, it looks like we're saddled with him. Might as well go on cheering for the Deacs.

Ideally, this journeyman coach will get us to the middle of the ACC and move on to destroy another program, at which time we can bring in a real coach.

That's pretty sad, really. We've got 10 wins right now and your saying he only needs two more the rest of the season????

12 wins is likely? Something like this seems about right:

@ Georgia Tech - W
vs #1 Duke - L
@Maryland - L
@North Carolina - L
vs Florida State - W
@ Boston College - W
vs Georgia Tech - W
vs #25 Miami (FL) - L
@ Florida State - L
vs Maryland - W
@ #18 North Carolina State - L
vs Virginia Tech - W

16-14 (9-9)

That definitely gets him another year, and it should imo.

12 wins is likely? Something like this seems about right:

@ Georgia Tech - W
vs #1 Duke - L
@Maryland - L
@North Carolina - L
vs Florida State - W
@ Boston College - W
vs Georgia Tech - W
vs #25 Miami (FL) - L
@ Florida State - L
vs Maryland - W
@ #18 North Carolina State - L
vs Virginia Tech - W

16-14 (9-9)

That definitely gets him another year, and it should imo.

lol. He is the single worst hire in the history of college basketball. One decent win vs the joke of the last 2 and half seasons....you have GOT to be kidding.

I don't think anything will happen this year for buzzz to be gone. I'm just cheering in hopes that this team improves. They seem to playing better overall (however, I have watched limited games).....

An incoming coach would have to think...'Dino won, not in tourney, got canned. Bzzz is out, I'm not going to win with a bunch of freshman/sophmores, so this will likely be a short term for me as welll...I'll look elsewhere.'

The only chance Wellman has at getting a good coach, is to stick with Bzzzz so he can at least look at candidates and say 'hey, we sucked and I stuck with this guy for a while...."

LOL Last night was a public relations nightmare for the BuzzOuters. Not only did Wake win an exciting game they were expected to lose, but the BuzzOuters shut down the ogboard to prevent us from celebrating. I guess in the BuzzOut World, if we can't read about it on the board then it didn't really happen. Maybe the BuzzOuters can convince ESPN next to refuse to report any games in which Wake wins. Carry on, theres nothing to see here.

I don't want him as coach anymore, no matter what happens. I also don't Wake Forest to lose, and I will not pull against them. It's really a conundrum.

The only important thing about yesterday's game was the quality of the freshmen playing for the Deacs....they really showed some talent and potential. The outcome of the game was a combination of our overall good, aggressive play in the second half, and the poor play of NCState. Wood missed a bunch of open 3's he normally makes, Leslie was on the bench with fouls, and they had a bunch a bad turnovers. We played well for us, but we're far from being a good team. I was most disturbed by the last 4 minutes when we let State back in the game....blame it on losing CJ for a few minutes if you want, but for me, until we choke out an opponent, this is a bad characteristic of the coach, and the team

We have played like a quality bubble team over the last month. Yes, our offense @ Clemson sucked; the Seton Hall collapse sucked; our defense @ Duke sucked. We're 6-3 since the Seton Hall loss.

Some of the credit in the development of Devin since the Virginia game in which he was just dreadful offensively has to go to the staff; Codi has played well the last week.

We cut into the lead in the 2nd half WITH FIVE FROSH ON THE COURT AT THE SAME TIME: Devin, Moto, Cav, Rountree, and Codi. We had like 3 straight trips against the zone where it was just a clinic between Rountree, Cav and Devin.

Honestly, if you can't credit coaching when it is deserved you don't have much ground to walk in with your criticism.

I have been one of the first (assuming that since I don't post or read on game threads because I find it stupid) to criticize Bzd for his substitutions on special plays. The last play of the State game could have been a monumental fuckup. You saw the refs over there reviewing tape so you can't assume there are going to be 0.7 seconds left on the clock. He is a bit stubborn in his substitution patterns. As the frosh have started to really step up, for example, Chase has struggled/regressed. It wasn't until the State game that our distributed minutes reflected that.

But come on. Team of frosh plus two veterans who have been blown out in games like this before keep fighting even though State had doubled the score on us? There's some excellent coaching up in there.

Last edited:
If he finishes with a winning record and .500 in ACC play I'll give him another year. If not, then I'll remain BzzOut. This win only changes things in so far as it provides him with one win closer to .500.

but if Thomas stays a monster, don't you think that would be something that would attract a top tier coach?

Back