• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No black man coudl have eaened leading Harvard Law Review

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
That's what the underlying reason for Trump and other Republicans asking to see Obama's grades.

I would hope that Republicans and coservatives of good nature would rise up and tell their bretheren to stop with this overt racist tactic.

No, I type better after a few drinks.

Talk about the subject not my typing.

At Wake, there is a blind write on (no one knows who is who), where the top 16 writers who submit, with caluclations beings grades plus writing sample, being admitted. Also, the top 16 of the 160 class are invited on, whether they write or not.

At the end of second year, if you have not been on law review, you are admitted if you are in the top ten percent after your second year.

Anyone on law reivew had to earn it through writing or grades.

For the record, I was in the top 16 in grades after both years. I never wrote on and declined to join when invited.

At Harvard, it is different and 8 spots have nothing to do with write on or grades. Therefore, it is perfectly acceptable to question those eight spots.

This is how you are selected at Harvard to join law review, per their own website:

Membership in the Harvard Law Review is limited to second- and third-year law students who are selected on the basis of their performance on an annual writing competition. Harvard Law School students who are interested in joining the Review must write the competition at the end of their 1L year, even if they plan to take time off during law school or are pursuing a joint degree and plan to spend a year at another Harvard graduate school.

Information for prospective transfer students.

In recent years, the number of students completing the competition has ranged from 215 to 265. 44 students are invited to join the Review each year.

Fourteen editors (two from each 1L section) are selected based on a combination of their first-year grades and their competition scores. Twenty editors are selected based solely on their competition scores. The remaining editors are selected on a discretionary basis. Some of these discretionary slots may be used to implement the Review's affirmative action policy.

Last edited:
I have condemned the birthers, but I do believe this man was not academically qualified to be Editor.

There is a reason you have never seen his grades, LSATs and law school performance.

Also, there are tons of black lawyers who can kick the **** out of me and are brilliant.

However, the men and women who get the cermeonial posts tend to be far more the politicans and far less the academic stars.

Who cares about the former grades of someone who has already landed the job in question, and has been working it for several years? Job performance is all that matters at that point. I guess the birthers/petty politicos need a new obsession to snark about.

Anyone have Bush's transcripts handy? His "military" records? Would anyone care?

It's nonsensical to question whether Obama was or is qualified to be president, now, as he's clearly going to be the most qualified candidate in the next election. Since, you know, he's the only one running who's ever actually held the job. You can't play the "qualified" or "experience" cards with an incumbent. It's bizarre and totally irrelevant. An incumbent runs on his record of the first three years and nothing else.

It wasn't my party that questioned Bush's admission to Harvard, it was the Democrats. While this is better left as a question of how institutions should focus, regarding legacies and under-represented groups, my folks did not start this.

You can't have "Bush's daddy got him in," without, how did you get in. This was started from the left, not the right, but does distract from legitimate issues.

That being said, it is absolutely hysterical to see someone who led the "Daddy got him in" mantra to be leading the questioning Obama's admissions and grades is "racist" campaign.

Apparently, questioning why the son of an extremely powerful American family was admitted to some of the best schools in the country despite poor performance is equivalent to questioning Obama's performance at Harvard just, like, because.

It wasn't my party that questioned Bush's admission to Harvard, it was the Democrats. While this is better left as a question of how institutions should focus, regarding legacies and under-represented groups, my folks did not start this.

You can't have "Bush's daddy got him in," without, how did you get in. This was started from the left, not the right, but does distract from legitimate issues.

That being said, it is absolutely hysterical to see someone who led the "Daddy got him in" mantra to be leading the questioning Obama's admissions and grades is "racist" campaign.

No one cared about Bush's daddy or Harvard in the 2004 election, because Bush was then an incumbent. Those concerns were only relevant in 2000, to assess the fitness of a new candidate. If you cared about Obama's grades, or anything else from his pre-President past, last election was the last time they were relevant.

Are you talking about trump in your last paragraph?

Pubs desperately scraping the bottom of the barrel. Are things really this bad for them? There's gotta be some issues more important than Obama's Harvard grades that they can use. Obama's grades at Harvard may not have been straight "As" but this indicates complete poverty of thought.

Weren't Bush and Kerry's grades public knowledge? Have Obama's really not been released?

Weren't Bush and Kerry's grades public knowledge? Have Obama's really not been released?

They have, but doubts remain about their authenticity. Many claim that he actually went to school at a crappy African (or perhaps Asian) university.

RACE CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VICTIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are just so very predictable and almost as pathetic as the birthers themselves.

How about this: the man is President. Right now. He is in the White House. His grades, his ethnicity, where he was born...none of it matters. He's the man in charge. Like him or dislike him, I don't care, but respect the office.

He was exactly right yesterday when he said we "don't have time for this silliness." Talk about the budget. Talk about clean energy. Talk about anything that actually matters. If you disagree with his policies, point out why and tell us what you think is a better idea.

The rest of this is meaningless gossip that is reducing grown men to 14 year old girls, and frankly there are more important things to accomplish than to act like a bunch of whiny adolescents. It's way past time for a whole lot of people to put on their big boy pants and act like adults.

RACE CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VICTIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are just so very predictable and almost as pathetic as the birthers themselves.

are you really taking what rjkarl says and extrapolating it to all of the left leaning posters on this board?

Rj, haven't you written many times that Clarence Thomas got into Yale Law and was appointed to the SCOTUS only because he is black? How is that any different? I'm not saying either is right, but your outrage appears to be selective.

Rj, haven't you written many times that Clarence Thomas got into Yale Law and was appointed to the SCOTUS only because he is black? How is that any different? I'm not saying either is right, but your outrage appears to be selective.

RJ's point on that is that Thomas is a hypocrite for his stance on Affirmative Action because he rode it to get a high quality education.

Hussein's ascension to some of the best schools in the world and to Harvard Law Review editor are obvious examples of affirmative action run amok. No wonder he's in favor of it . . . look how far it's gotten him. My black friends have worked hard to get where they are. I'm sure they feel insulted that someone, who probably isn't even a real American, was given everything on a silver platter in front of them.

Release the grades. NOW!

Reveal the fraud of the chosen one.

Back