• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the Wake basketball program passed rock bottom?

Has Wake basketball passed rock bottom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stonz

Reaction score
Simple poll.

If you vote 'yes', I'd like to hear what point you think rock bottom was.

If you vote 'no', I'd like to hear when you think rock bottom will be.

No, Tuesday was merely a false dawn.

I'm starting to think rock bottom might strike sometime in late Feb or early March. Maybe even a disastrous blowout loss in the first round of the ACCT followed by a player or two jumping ship.

No. When Bz eventually leaves Wellman will still be here to announce his replacement. For those of you who think he can't do worse than Bz, just wait.

Rock bottom was first half against Iona, which came on heels of decent showing against UConn. If we are losing 50-3 in our next game, I will be proven wrong and will realize that we are no where near hitting rock bottom.

I voted that we have passed rock bottom. Many choices to pick for rock bottom, but I'll go with the 76-40 loss to NC State at home last season.

Rock bottom was Iona this season. We've been climbing back ever since. Lost our grip and fell against Clemson, but we're climbing again.

I'm just not sold that this team is going to get a lot better next year. We lose CJ who is our best clutch performer and second-leading scorer. Who will replace his efficiency? I expect CMM and Madison (and the other freshmen) to keep progressing, but I don't know if that progression is enough to make up for losing CJ's production next year. We will also be extremely thin at the 4/5 in the future, even with Green returning and Andre potentially developing (why does Buzz hate recruiting bigs?).

I think the real question we should be asking is whether or not Buzz has this program set to make several runs into the NCAAT. I just don't see a tournament quality team in our future, and to me, that's worthy of BuzzOut. I really hope we aren't lowering our expectations to the point that having a winning record is acceptable.

For me the rock bottom was Tony Chenault getting blocking by Dan Miller of GT in I think the ACC tournament last year. Tony had three steps to avoid Miller. He could have passed, pulled up for a jumper, backed out, gone reverse layup, but Tony was not capable of changing is body motion with so little time (three fucking steps). Miller blocked Tony's shot with his elbow. WITH HIS ELBOW. At the time I thought I had two more years of watching Tony Chenault in a Wake uniform. That was rock bottom for me.

The Nebraska game was rock bottom I guess for this year, but each year every team does throw up a super dud early and a stinker late. 5-0 Miami lost their 2nd game of the season at home to like Florida County Day or something. Duke just got thrashed by Miami. Those games even happen to NBA teams. So I'm just happy that we have talent again and they seem to really like each other and have the opportunity to be a historically great class.

An interesting thing about CJ is that while he is our most efficient player on offense, he is also one of our worst players on defense according to the defensive rating assigned by basketball-reference.com. He is definitely a big asset to the team and while his offense will be hard to replace, I believe that it will definitely be doable.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/wake-forest/2013.html#advanced::17

Oh, I voted "Yes". Iona. Any time you are down 41-5 to an MAAC team it has to be rock bottom. We have been getting better since then (2 steps forward, 1 step back).

I voted yes, with Bz's first year taking the cake.

That was like the stock market crash in late 2008. We've been treading water, slowly moving higher since, but we're in for years of sideways and inconsistent growth until we shake out all of our problems that are limiting our rise (Bz).

I have to wait for more data. As great as the State win was, I am not convinced we have turned the corner yet. It probably has to do with my hatred of Bzz.

Back