• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US wants colleges to provide athletics for disabled

Fuck that

College athletics outside of revenue sports is strug-a-ling. This would kill many many many programs that help many many kids go to college.

Misleading title. Go to the end to see where colleges and universities fit in. It's more of an IM or club thing than establishing NCAA Wheelchair Basketball.

Misleading title. Go to the end to see where colleges and universities fit in. It's more of an IM or club thing than establishing NCAA Wheelchair Basketball.

I support that but I don't want schools to have to cut Women's Volleyball or Men's Track in order for this to be done.

I appreciate and support trying to do everything (within reason) that we can to enrich the lives of our children and fellow citizens who are disabled, and to try to make as many opportunities as possible available to them, but this is really silly.

Where does this end? What's next, mandating additional sports opportunities for kids who simply aren't good enough to make the varsity or JV squad? In their case, their disability is just not being tall enough, strong enough, coordinated enough, etc. to make the team.

The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

[Edited to add:] As Go points out, there just isn't enough money, space, staff or other resources available to do EVERYTHING that is a good idea or otherwise is the "right thing to do" in an ideal world where resources are limitless.

Last edited:
I appreciate and support trying to do everything (within reason) that we can to enrich the lives of our children and fellow citizens who are disabled, and to try to make as many opportunities as possible available to them, but this is really silly.

Where does this end? What's next, mandating additional sports opportunities for kids who simply aren't good enough to make the varsity or JV squad? In their case, their disability is just not being tall enough, strong enough, coordinated enough, etc. to make the team.

The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

It's called intramurals.

The article lays it out pretty well. This is a much bigger deal for public middle and high school programs. I can't see this sticking due to the expense.

Don't go over the edge....this is the key clause"schools would be required to make "reasonable modifications""

Bankrupting schools is a "reasonable modification"

Someone said the same thing about Title IX during Nixon's reign.

Probably, but a lot more girls/women than disabled. Expenses for women are pretty standard for all women. Expenses for disabled students could vary greatly and get very expensive.

Don't go over the edge....this is the key clause"schools would be required to make "reasonable modifications""

Bankrupting schools is a "reasonable modification"

Those words "reasonable modifications" will be the end of the public schooling system. It is crippling it now, and has douchebag lawyers frothing at the mouth.

And how many sports/teams have had to fold as a result?

Not sure of the exact figure but there's been quite a few. Are you genuinely asking or are you trying to say there hasn't been any casualties of Title IX?

So does this mean a school is going to have to bend over backwards to accommodate this mandate for the 2 crippled kids in the school? Why would a school make sports options available if there aren't even enough kids to fill a team? Or do they simply have to say, yeah, you can try out for the regular hoops team even though you're in a wheelchair and will have your shit swatted at a ridiculous rate and won't make the team or boost your self-esteem?

I think this is yet another case where the government overreaches and then has to issue clarifying directives after the fact.

Back