• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big 12 commish says B12 is discussing an alliance with the ACC

Why would West Virginia allow the world's most awesome conference work with its lamest one?

Lots of rumors going around tonight. One is the ACC, Big XII, PAC 12 and SEC are seriously considering this alliance. There's another rumor that Texas has agreed to the same deal with the ACC that Notre Dame got.

Next few days should be interesting.

Lots of rumors going around tonight. One is the ACC, Big XII, PAC 12 and SEC are seriously considering this alliance. There's another rumor that Texas has agreed to the same deal with the ACC that Notre Dame got.

Next few days should be interesting.

That would be interesting. I wouldn't like it, but it would definitely be interesting (and would screw over the Big 12, and therefore WVU, which is a big positive).

If Texas has a ND type deal, neither are joining in football and I'm guessing it includes a regular Texas vs. ND game.

That would be interesting. I wouldn't like it, but it would definitely be interesting (and would screw over the Big 12, and therefore WVU, which is a big positive).

Their boards are saying that UNC, UVA, Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama are leaving to join WVU in the super conference.

Their boards are saying that UNC, UVA, Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama are leaving to join WVU in the super conference.

That's obviously ridiculous, sadly I think you might be serious though.

They are kind of nuts up there, aren't they?

If Texas has a ND type deal, neither are joining in football and I'm guessing it includes a regular Texas vs. ND game.

Big XII would still be effectively dead. Pac-12 would swoop in to round out for 16.

Big XII would still be effectively dead. Pac-12 would swoop in to round out for 16.

It wouldn't be dead, but the revenue picture would be entirely different. Even without Texas (or OU), they still have some good programs with strong fan bases.

I think the SEC would make a play for OU and OK St.

I don't know why Texas would want to be an Independent and travel to the ACC for every other sport and have to play 5 ACC teams. Makes more sense for ND.

Hope this leads to the demise of the NCAA.

This is an olive branch from a vulnerable B12. They are like Germany or France in Diplomacy - centrally located and surrounded by enemies.

“You can begin to get some advantages without taking on any of the disadvantages (of expansion). It’s one option that allows benefits. It’s kind of like friends with benefits.” Odd term for a 61 yo. And, be careful, ACC. Someone's getting screwed.

MAKE IT STOP. I HATE IT ALL. AT THIS POINT NOBODY GAINS ANYTHING. YOU'RE GONNA KILL YOUR PRODUCT. JUST FUCKING STOP.

We can handle the Nebraska here, the Maryland there, but dude.

You're trying to kill my god. I fucking hate this.

Wishful thinking.

Unless they got 5 of their friends to come along at the same time, they would be forfeiting their TV revenue to the Big whatever for the next 10 or so years because of the Grant of Rights. That's 200 million dollars. That's why the XII is far more secure than people are understanding at this point.

I don't think even Texas would justify that, especially when they are in a conference where they call the shots? Why give that up for a conference where they would not be guaranteed as much money(smaller per team cut and no tier 3), wouldn't be able to touch the money for 10 years, would have very little in common with culturally, would have major headaches for their large non revenue programs, and would be playing 2nd fiddle, at best?

Pipe dream for the ACC.

It founds like Bowlsby is basically wanting a setup where the non-con games would only be against the partner conferences. That would probably raise the contracts for each conference as it would provide several more high quality games with large viewer bases each season. If s broadcaster locked up that block of games, I imagine it would cost a pretty penny. Would really suck for smaller schools though that would be getting locked out of the non cons. It could really start a situation where there are just 80 or less teams practically in the game, without additional realignment carnage.

The two explanations for this on the WVU board are:

1. The only mentioned the ACC because they are setting us up for the raid. 6 teams leaving tuesday and they have been saying that every tuesday.

2. The Big 12 has agreed to do this and stop raiding if we give them two teams to get to 12.

Back