• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vanderbilt wants to replace Wake game with MTSU

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
After these final two games that are already scheduled.

“We’re still trying to get a game that last Saturday (beyond 2014), and that game has become market-driven,” said Williams, noting that students are on break that weekend. “(MTSU) has the potential to be a local draw. The series with Wake Forest hasn’t worked at either place (attendance-wise).”

Vanderbilt has Wake Forest scheduled on the final weekend for two more seasons.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...ll-series-still-set-2015-start?nclick_check=1

Never thought that "rivalry" worked for either side, plus it was during a horrible time of the year when most of the passion for football was small/none.

I understand the Vandy defensive coordinator threatened to resign if he loses his virtual week off before facing El Lobo!

plus it was during a horrible time of the year when most of the passion for football was small/none.

Well sure, for us. Vanderbilt has had plenty of passion the past couple of years. Check out the video from their game against us this season.

I'm glad to get rid of the rivalry just so we don't have to be smacked in the face with the contrast between Grobe collecting paychecks and buying into LOWF and Franklin believing that Vandy can play with anyone.

It's a lose/lose. Way more downside than upside and yes attendance sucks. We should play UT or someone that would be happy for a "local" road game...

Thank god. What a disaster of a rivalry this thing has been. Neither team has come close to selling out their home game, and in many cases it's mattered for at least a bowl bid. Vandy playing MTSU makes sense because the schools are located 30 miles away, and could possibly fill a stadium with both fanbases, especially with students being gone for Thanksgiving break.

As for us I'd rather have a bye or play a FCS team than play this game. Of course playing State or Duke would be preferable but that appears to be far too rational for the ACC to consider.

Well sure, for us. Vanderbilt has had plenty of passion the past couple of years. Check out the video from their game against us this season.
I worded that poorly...I meant from the fans. Particularly our fans. He mentioned the attendance problems, which is true. Playing a team that was better than us (and wasn't a "sexy" matchup), whom we had no connection to, small fanbases not known for traveling, during Thanksgiving weekend after all of our hope had been dashed with another late season spiral - just wasn't a good mix.

Last edited:
How about we just stop scheduling guaranteed losses late in the season

I'd like to see us put on our big boy britches and play more SEC or Big 10 teams regardless of the time of year, but if the concern is butts in the seats as Vandy says at season end, then NCSU, Duke or UNC. Maybe even VT or Clemson would be OK

It wasn't long ago that Vandy wasn't a guaranteed loss. Or maybe that was your point...

Let's put ECU on at the end of the season. It's not high profile but it is a money maker.

MTSU is a potentially great rival for Wake too. Relatively close, similar academics and athletics.

Am I wrong or did ecu drop us from their schedule a couple years back?

I seem to remember this, too.

When we scheduled Vandy, it looked like a guarantee for us.

Am I wrong or did ecu drop us from their schedule a couple years back?

They had a good run there for a bit and probably wanted UNC and State. Not sure where they're at these days. But I think they would be a good fit.

ECU would be a good tough game. Probably 50/50 wins/losses but a good school to compete with academically.

ECU would be a good tough game. Probably 50/50 wins/losses but a good school to compete with academically.

As long as we don't play against morally inferior institutions such as Penn State.

(Note: not as random as it might appear)

As long as we don't play against morally inferior institutions such as Penn State.

(Note: not as random as it might appear)

I wonder how Penn Stat's scheduling goes these days. They have Wake beat on academics and athletics but we have them beat on lack of child molesters!!

Back