• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Baseball Player of the 90's (Non-Pitcher)

Best Baseball Player of the 90's (non-pitcher)

• Total voters

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Heard some people having this discussion this weekend and I thought it was interesting. I don't think any player could be held above Griffey Jr./Bonds, but i'll include a couple anyway.

Griffey. If that guy had taken roids like everyone else, he would have probably been the GOAT. Not a big baseball fan, but the injury plagued career of Griffey seems to be the biggest tragedy of the steroid era.

since you didn't include my BOI jeff blauser, i'll have to go with bonds. i love griffey though.

Without having time to think about it too much, do we think those are the best 5 non-pitchers?

Am I crazy for having Jeff Bagwell on here instead of Craig Biggio? Bill James had Biggio as the 2nd best player of the 90's.

Robbie Alomar probably deserves some love too, honestly. That guy was amazing, no Delino DeShields though.

Winston Salem's own Mark Grace had more hits than anyone that decade, so I've been told.

must...resist...bbd...big...hurt...tag. :p

I know he's not in the discussion but I'm getting to have dinner & drinks with Will Clark on Thursday.

What are some things to bring up with him?

Last edited:
griffeyedit.jpg

Griffey. If that guy had taken roids like everyone else, he would have probably been the GOAT. Not a big baseball fan, but the injury plagued career of Griffey seems to be the biggest tragedy of the steroid era.

Griffey never could have been the GOAT. He never could have even been close. The simple fact of the matter is that while he hit HR's at an historic rate, he had holes in his offensive game. Basically - he just didn't get on base enough, even in his absolute prime. He was a HOF player. He was never ever in the conversation for GOAT.

Bonds. Not close.

And yeah, it's this. By a huge margin. His '92 and '93 seasons, in particular, were just absolutely absurd. He was in the GOAT conversation before the roids, people forget that.

at least 50-50 that griffey used roids in my opinion. and bonds was the best player in the 90s.

The fact that Griffey is leading Bonds handily in this poll is part of why Bonds finally said "fuck it, nobody gives me credit for being awesome" and hit the roids so he could become even more stupidly good.

Bonds was much better than Griffey. This should be a 100% vote in his favor.

Back