• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NWT: UT Vols facing financial difficulties

It's all in collapse. It's not sustainable. Maryland, Tenn. there will be more. Realignment was the last gasp of a dying model.

So Tennessee is moving to the Big 10? :willynilly:

If you average just below 90K a game in football and you still can't break even as an athletic department it is time to re-examine what you're doing.

Dave Hart seeing that SEC speed won't pay the bills.

UT had champagne tastes and a natty light level beer pocketbook. Not a wealthy state outside of Nashville, a city full of people from other places who don't give a sh!t about UT.

UT had champagne tastes and a natty light level beer pocketbook. Not a wealthy state outside of Nashville, a city full of people from other places who don't give a sh!t about UT.

I suspect TN has more wealth than Alabama or Lousiana, and their SEC school athletic departments seem to be doing fine. And there are plenty of hard core UT fans in Nashville. Ask any Vandy fan.

I suspect TN has more wealth than Alabama or Lousiana, and their SEC school athletic departments seem to be doing fine. And there are plenty of hard core UT fans in Nashville. Ask any Vandy fan.

This. LSU and Alabama aren't paying contracts to 3 coaches at the same time though.

How much was Pat Summit making and how me is she making now as Coach Emeritus or whatever?

Lots of mismanagement of funds. The school ran two separate athletic departments up until this past year. But they AD does take in over $100 million in revenue a year so it won't be too hard to turn it around.

Lots of mismanagement of funds. The school ran two separate athletic departments up until this past year. But they AD does take in over $100 million in revenue a year so it won't be too hard to turn it around.

Just have to win football games.

Just have to win football games.

Absolutely. The cash cow that is Alabama was out for a decade or so an you see how we'll they are doing now. A couple winning seasons and the money flows. Also, over $200 million in renovations the past three years puts a hurtin on anybody. The problem was letting the reserves get so low. Georgia has in excess of $60 million in reserves.

90K (a little higher than average attendance) x $40 (probably low for ticket prices?) x 7 home games = $25.2 million

Wake athletics may look small-time on (as a parent of a high school athlete in the throes of the recruiting process, believe me, it does), but credit should be given for, as far as I know, not spending without committed dollars.

Back