• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke fan cries about treatment at Miami game

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/i-found-duke-basketball-pride-amid-hurricane-hatre

"Unfortunately, the immaturity and spite exhibited by the administration and the mascot was only amplified among the student body. About 1,300 students were in attendance, and I’m sure 1,200 of them had never watched a Miami basketball game in their entire undergraduate careers. Uninspired expletives, homophobic slurs and limp references to genitalia were the only “cheers” I heard from Miami students the entire game. They did not cease during the national anthem, nor during a moment of silence for a deceased member of their own coaching staff. Pause for a second and imagine that scene in Cameron.

That’s OK—we couldn’t either."

images

what a bunch of clowns.

"My classmates and I had been in line for the game for hours when the Dean of Students first appeared. He expressed his disbelief at our Duke apparel, and continued to express his disapproval even after we explained we were former Duke students excited to watch our team, and had no intention of actively cheering against Miami. He told us condescendingly that he would allow us to remain in the student line, but he assured us that on behalf of President Donna Shalala, they were not going to let us easily into this game to cheer for Duke in the front of the Miami student section. "

What the hell did they expect? No school is going to be happy with that situation... nor should they be.

Ah yes, "You Suck Dick" was such a classy cheer back in the day. You tell 'em, dookie.

Did you catch the "Trinity '11" bullshit at the top of the article? Jesus, how goddamned pretentious can you get?

You're in the MIAMI student section as a grad student who went to Duke undergrad. What. The. Fuck. Did. You. Expect?

Got what you deserved.

Nice comment under the story....

"Ugh. As a Duke grad, this column is just plain embarrassing. It's people like you that are the reason people think Duke is full of whiny, entitled, spoiled brats. What do you think happens when Carolina, State or Maryland fans come into Cameron?"

my favorite comment so far
"DUKE SUCKS
YOU SUCKS"

Did you catch the "Trinity '11" bullshit at the top of the article? Jesus, how goddamned pretentious can you get?

You're in the MIAMI student section as a grad student who went to Duke undergrad. What. The. Fuck. Did. You. Expect?

Got what you deserved.

Can someone explain the Trinity thing since I don't know about that. Is that their old name or something?

Can someone explain the Trinity thing since I don't know about that. Is that their old name or something?

They were Trinity College before the Duke family sunk a ton of money into the school

And the college of liberal arts or something is still called Trinity.

the fluffy pathetic Hurricane mascot had already picked a piece of pizza up off the ground and thrown it at us
GDFSPXZIITPHBRE20120726164506_zpsda802725.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought Miami fans only went out of their way to rattle Bz at basketball games.

How do these guy's so easily forget the treatment of opposing team fans in Cameron?

I cheered for Wake in the Duke grad school section 8 times. Sometimes I hooked up other Wake fans with IDs and passes and we had our own section. No big deal aside from the occasional ribbing and fan give and take.

At pretty much every Duke basketball game, there were a few grad students in the section cheering for their undergrad alma mater. That's part of being an elite university. You draw talent from around the nation and they should have the ability to support their undergrad at sporting events in a respectful manner. Pretty pissy response from the Miami administration. Want kids from Top 10 schools to come to your grad/prof programs? Don't treat them like crap.

And the college of liberal arts or something is still called Trinity.

Yeah, that girl definitely puts "Trinity College" on all her applications for Teach For America, Peace Corp, and random non-profits.

"My classmates and I had been in line for the game for hours when the Dean of Students first appeared. He expressed his disbelief at our Duke apparel, and continued to express his disapproval even after we explained we were former Duke students excited to watch our team, and had no intention of actively cheering against Miami. He told us condescendingly that he would allow us to remain in the student line, but he assured us that on behalf of President Donna Shalala, they were not going to let us easily into this game to cheer for Duke in the front of the Miami student section. "

What the hell did they expect? No school is going to be happy with that situation... nor should they be.

Wake wouldn't care....we would just be happy to have students show up at the game.

I'm sure that if somebody went to undergrad at a different school and then Duke for grad school and attempted the same thing they would be met with nothing but class.

Said no person ever.

Back