• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball thread, season underway

Brangus

Reaction score
How is the team supposed to be this year? Improvement? Any articles about the team out there? I want to talk and think about something other than Bzzzz and basketball.

Looks like we brought in a strong recruiting class. Ranked in the top 40.

Sounds like status quo from previous seasons. Want to see the Deacs back in the thick of the ACC soon!

I think Coach Walter is getting us on the track that we need to be on and we will see good results soon.

(I feel like I say this with every coach though).

gotta close the deal on some road games this year. We let so many winnable games slip through our hands last year and just missed the tourney. Getting swept at BC was a killer.

I don't think UNC is #1 considering NC State is picked to win the ACC over them.

Coach Walter needs about two more kidneys to donate to lock up a couple good recruiting classes in a row.

I know nothing about Wake's baseball program or history. Are we historically awful, decent, good, some other option?

I know nothing about Wake's baseball program or history. Are we historically awful, decent, good, some other option?

Only ACC school with a National Championship if that counts for anything. But it was in 1955

Wake is historically decent but it's hard to compete as a private school for the most part, especially at a school where tuition is so high.

I remember seeing on Perfect Game UNC was ranked number one with Arkansas #2, but maybe I'm wrong.

Wake is historically decent but it's hard to compete as a private school for the most part, especially at a school where tuition is so high.

Directionally accurate at least for Wake. Only having 11.7 schollies a year in baseball does hurt a school like Wake a lot more than a public school. Not to say this hasn't stopped Vanderbilt, Stanford, Rice and other private, high-tuition rate schools from competing at a very high level over the past decade and longer.

Over the past decade though, we've been at best mediocre. Some seasons better than others, but only a handful of NCAA Tournament appearances.

Did I hear it right that they removed the blue/red seats from the stadium? Good if true.

We have periods of excellent baseball. But we also have periods where the wheels fall off.

In addition to the national title in 1955, we were runners up in 1949. The last period of dominant Wake baseball was 1998-2003. Won ACC titles in 1998, 1999 and 2001. Last time we showed any life was reaching the ACC tournament title game in 2007.

Back