• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I see light, and it's not a train

WFU1990

Reaction score
I am seeing something that bodes well for us IMO, and that is the execution of our offense without relying on CJ. I have been worried about scoring once CJ leaves, but it seems as though the Freshmen are picking it up as the year goes on and we can be in, or win games, without CJ going off. CMM next year will operate with more of a mentality that it is his team, rather than CJ's.

I don't disagree but I see a lot of freshmen (all of them?) who need to improve their shooting badly. Even CMM, specifically at the foul line.

We have serious young talent. The question is who is going to groom this talent into something special in their junior and senior years? Bzz? I hope not. They deserve better.

Exactly, until we get someone big to play with Devin, we will not reach that light.

Never gonna be very good without a legit big to go along with DT. None are on the horizon.

Never gonna be very good without a legit big to go along with DT. None are on the horizon.

Okay this makes more sense. I was gonna say that DT has the best post moves a Wake player has had since Big E IIRC and even Big E had lapses (which Devin obviously does too). I think that for a freshman to have these moves is a HUGE sign that he is going to be able to improve a lot moving on. He needs to work on adding a solid right hand to his repertoire as well as dipping down low to get to the rim a little more easily. His rebounding effort is there, his ability to get to the solid rebounding spots is there, and his hands look a lot better/he looks caught up to the game pace a lot more now than he did at the beginning of the year.

I'm extremely excited about Devin Thomas.

I know you'll take this as an excuse and yes they didn't have Kelly, but Daniel Green would have helped us alot tonight.

I know you'll take this as an excuse and yes they didn't have Kelly, but Daniel Green would have helped us alot tonight.

If I were advising Daniel Green, I'd tell him to somehow avoid playing the next three years - he might get his jersey hung in the rafters.

I think green would have helped just as another body , he seemed to be long,and fairly athletic. As least he could have given fouls and minutes

Anyone comparing Devin to Big E never saw Big E play pre-CP3. And that's meant as a compliment to Big E. There's a reason he was a McDonalds AA, and it wasn't the 'fro.

I think green would have helped just as another body , he seemed to be long,and fairly athletic. As least he could have given fouls and minutes

This. I don't see CJ being a huge loss next year. With DG back and the freshmen becoming sophomores we should be much improved.

This. I don't see CJ being a huge loss next year. With DG back and the freshmen becoming sophomores we should be much improved.

You don't see our leading scorer (actually looks like he trails by 5 to Travis), best FT shooter, best 3 point shooter and senior leader as a huge loss?

I think the point is not that losing CJ won't hurt - just that it won't be devastating.

I (and many others I assume) pictured this year as the CJ show far more often than it's turned out to be. Our best basketball has featured fairly even contributions from our top 6. It will always hurt to lose a high-scoring senior, but the truth is we probably improve a little on defense without him and if Codi can step up and play more like he did against NC State it certainly looks like we can make up for his absence.

Still baffled by the "we won't be good until Devin also has a pure center to play with him" argument. Teams make final four runs with centers his size all the time. Plumlee is a 6'10" 235lb senior. Devin is a 6'9" 240lb freshman. But we're hopeless with Devin at the 5 for the next 3 years? Please explain.

You don't see our leading scorer (actually looks like he trails by 5 to Travis), best FT shooter, best 3 point shooter and senior leader as a huge loss?

I think CJ would be the 3rd or 4th best player on a good team. A guy that feeds off of others and does certain things really well--- kindof like his frosh year.

As it stands now, I think CJ is the 3rd most valuable player to the team, behind McKie and DT. He will be missed, but I think you will see Madison and CMM starting next year, which, while representing a drop off in half court offense, actually represents an upgrade in transition offense and defense.

Still baffled by the "we won't be good until Devin also has a pure center to play with him" argument. Teams make final four runs with centers his size all the time. Plumlee is a 6'10" 235lb senior. Devin is a 6'9" 240lb freshman. But we're hopeless with Devin at the 5 for the next 3 years? Please explain.

The issue is not having a backup big. Devin is plenty big enough to play in the ACC as a center. I wouldn't mind pairing him with another similarly sized player for certain stretches of a game and I definitely wish that someone could pick up a few fouls to help Devin out on the defensive end.

Back