• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A question about these boards

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Can anyone create a forum like this for their own use?

Basically I'm asking is this an open source template that anyone can access? Is is a program you buy?

Can anyone create a forum like this for their own use?

Basically I'm asking is this an open source template that anyone can access? Is is a program you buy?

Yes, you can buy the vBulletin software and host it on whatever host you'd like. There are forums running vBulletin that have well over a million users.

We bought the VBulletin software. After that, I don't know what the other mods did, but whatever it was...it was awesome.

What is the cost for VBulletin. I assume one would need the technical coding knowhow in order to keep things running smoothly?

It's forum software that we have modified and made additions too (and will continue to make additions too).

It is not free.

There is open source forum code out there, but generally it takes a great deal more work to get operating securely and smoothly.

What is the cost for VBulletin. I assume one would need the technical coding knowhow in order to keep things running smoothly?

You would want to have at least one person that's tech savvy to help keep it running, yes.

It's like $300 for the software, plus you have to pay for internet hosting somewhere, like godaddy or whatnot.

Not asking for donations. Thankfully, some have offered small donations on their own. Those have been greatly appreciated.

Not asking for donations. Thankfully, some have offered small donations on their own. Those have been greatly appreciated.

Maybe if you agree to take an AD plant as a mod, they'd fund the operation.

The CIA is funding these boards to weed out discontents, just like it did with the Paris Review.

Another question- can these boards sit behind other places on a website. i.e. can they simply be a link from a website with many other pages? Or does it have to stand alone?

They can be a sub-directory of a website. In the long run we may be adding a different home page w/ blogging capabilities and access to other information.

Is there a maximum number of forums the program allowns you to create?

And if you buy the program once and you use for multiple sites?

Thanks.

Is there a maximum number of forums the program allowns you to create?

And if you buy the program once and you use for multiple sites?

Thanks.

You need to buy multiple licenses for more than one forum. We only needed one license.

Is there a maximum number of forums you can have from one license? could a person have 60 forums?

Also if you buy one license can have multiple directories?

Back