• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student support

berneses

Reaction score
Great to see such tremendous student support for the last two home games. I think this article sums it up so well. http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=27515. Kudos to Ashley and the rest of the students in supporting your team. Reminded me of my days at MSD cheering on the Deacs.

Can someone posts video/photos of the atmosphere?

Can someone posts video/photos of the atmosphere?

tumbleweed.gif

It's been an improvement the last 2 games for sure, but those of us that remember the prime of tie-dye nation which wasn't really that long ago know it still pales in comparasion.

It's been an improvement the last 2 games for sure, but those of us that remember the prime of tie-dye nation which wasn't really that long ago know it still pales in comparasion.
Yup. And it was against 2 of our 3 biggest rivals. Let's see how it fairs the rest of the year (excluding the Maryland game, since a large turnout is likely with CP3's jersey being retired).

I hope the present support continues, but just like NC State wasn't quite the turning point some thought, it's too early to say the same about recent attendance.

I'll be impressed if the students show up for the FSU and GT games. Otherwise it's the same old shit, different year. And as someone already said, the atmosphere in the Joel - even during the Duke game on Wednesday - is nothing compared to what it was during Skip's heyday.

Duke always gets a turnout every year. So does State, and so does UNC.

I'll be impressed if the students show up for the FSU and GT games. Otherwise it's the same old shit, different year. And as someone already said, the atmosphere in the Joel - even during the Duke game on Wednesday - is nothing compared to what it was during Skip's heyday.

And yes, we turned out in droves for the likes of F$U and Georgia Tech as well. Of course it helps that pretty much every top-6 ACC team had multiple, future NBA'ers and lots of young talent in reserve:

F$U - Ward, Cassell, Sura, Doug Edwards
GT - Forrest, Best, Mackey & Drew Barry
UVa - Burrough & C. Alexander
UNC - Lynch, Williams & Montross
DU - Hill, Hurley, Parks, Lang
UMd - well Maryland wasn't very good and I don't even remember Burns who avgd 18 ppg??
State - they sucked too, but Fuller was fun to watch in the coming years

Even Clemson had Gray & Wright, two very formidable forwards, both of whom I think spent some time in the National.

Of course, expansion has certainly diluted the strength of competition, but when teams such as Miami and VT have very little history of winning, it's tough for today's students to give a crap. But hey, the point stands, the crowd was lively and the students seemed to be into the game. But my oh my, they could get a few more chants going or make more noise when Dook was on offense in the 2nd half. Still seemed quiet to me on TV here in ATL.

And yes, we turned out in droves for the likes of F$U and Georgia Tech as well. Of course it helps that pretty much every top-6 ACC team had multiple, future NBA'ers and lots of young talent in reserve:

F$U - Ward, Cassell, Sura, Doug Edwards
GT - Forrest, Best, Mackey & Drew Barry
UVa - Burrough & C. Alexander
UNC - Lynch, Williams & Montross
DU - Hill, Hurley, Parks, Lang
UMd - well Maryland wasn't very good and I don't even remember Burns who avgd 18 ppg??
State - they sucked too, but Fuller was fun to watch in the coming years

Even Clemson had Gray & Wright, two very formidable forwards, both of whom I think spent some time in the National.

Of course, expansion has certainly diluted the strength of competition, but when teams such as Miami and VT have very little history of winning, it's tough for today's students to give a crap. But hey, the point stands, the crowd was lively and the students seemed to be into the game. But my oh my, they could get a few more chants going or make more noise when Dook was on offense in the 2nd half. Still seemed quiet to me on TV here in ATL.

God it's depressing how bad the ACC is now. Those names from 1993 only serve to remind me how bad the ACC state of affairs is. While you're at it, why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.

No doubt cville!! Pretty much the state of college basketball in general. I mean, Wichita St is in the Top 20??? What the shit?

Of course, some young whippersnapper will come along and say, "shut up old man with your 'back in my day' diatribe", but no doubt the 90's were a far better decade for college b'ball than the 13-15 years since.

No doubt cville!! Pretty much the state of college basketball in general. I mean, Wichita St is in the Top 20??? What the shit?

Of course, some young whippersnapper will come along and say, "shut up old man with your 'back in my day' diatribe", but no doubt the 90's were a far better decade for college b'ball than the 13-15 years since.

Pretty sure Wichita State was used to be a really good basketball program. They made an Elite Eight sometime in the early '80s but were on probation shortly after. Not sure of the circumstances.

As much as people like to talk up the mid-majors and parity, there was a lot going around 30 years ago too.

There is no doubt, however, that the bottom line in terms of college basketball overall, has been hurt by the one-and-done rule.

As we drove through campus en route to The Joel, we saw groups of students lined up waiting for bus transport over. It was a nasty weather night (wintry cold and windy), so I was really glad for the availaility of the busses. Most of the time the students who don't drive to The Joel walk over from campus on a nice night or afternoon. It was good they made the effort for this game on such a night. They really rocked!

Pretty sure Wichita State was used to be a really good basketball program. They made an Elite Eight sometime in the early '80s but were on probation shortly after. Not sure of the circumstances.

As much as people like to talk up the mid-majors and parity, there was a lot going around 30 years ago too.

There is no doubt, however, that the bottom line in terms of college basketball overall, has been hurt by the one-and-done rule.

Wichita State has as many Final 4 appearances as WFU does.

It doesn't take an old man to realize that college basketball is a pale shadow of its former self. Parity and the talent drain to the NBA has neutered college basketball. It's either stacked Elite teams destroying cup cakes or mediocre (that pass for 'good' now) teams beating the shit out of each other in slow down games to the tune of 55-50.

It doesn't take an old man to realize that college basketball is a pale shadow of its former self. Parity and the talent drain to the NBA has neutered college basketball. It's either stacked Elite teams destroying cup cakes or mediocre (that pass for 'good' now) teams beating the shit out of each other in slow down games to the tune of 55-50.

No way Coach Cal is in any fault here...

Kentucky has been dominating with NBA talent for years. The talent just doesn't stay as long now.

As for 1993 Maryland, Johnny Rhodes and Exree Hipp. They helped get Maryland on the right track.

I sat upstairs right beside the students and I was very impressed with the turnout. Kudos to the student section. I had fun sitting beside those guys/gals.

Back