• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tourney in NYC?

Six months ago this was a complete no go. Now that the Big East is falling apart, NYC is back on the table.

Once the Big East is gone or absorbed by the ACC, MSG will want to host the tournament. Wouldn't be a good PR move to bid right now while the conference is still alive.

Cuse and Duke would be the only schools with significant fan bases if the ACC Tourney was played at MSG.

Cuse and Duke would be the only schools with significant fan bases if the ACC Tourney was played at MSG.

But are you in favor of this? It is probably inevitable given Pitt and the Cuse are in the conference but I'm not big on it. The money is going to drag it there but from a branding perspective I like Greensboro now and forever. I think Miami, FSU, GT, Wake, NCSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke and UVA would probably agree with me. I'm not sure the Ville would really care. We won't have to worry about the University of Alaska to bitch about Greensboro anymore. The ACC Tournament with the incoming basketball powers is going to be the greatest show on earth and I think Greensboro is the ideal locus.

I added Duke to the list because they are as at home in Greensboro as they are in the Garden. But they might like the New York limelight.

It's horrible but the future sometimes is. C'est la vie.

I have no problem with NY being in the rotation.

It's horrible but the future sometimes is. C'est la vie.

What's horrible about it? We are are trying to be the premier basketball conference of the East Coast and the country.

The other major conferences hold their tourneys in Chicago, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Kansas City. New York makes a statement. Greensboro is so meh. The conference has to get away from the NC fiefdom to survive.

But are you in favor of this? It is probably inevitable given Pitt and the Cuse are in the conference but I'm not big on it. The money is going to drag it there but from a branding perspective I like Greensboro now and forever. I think Miami, FSU, GT, Wake, NCSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke and UVA would probably agree with me. I'm not sure the Ville would really care. We won't have to worry about the University of Alaska to bitch about Greensboro anymore. The ACC Tournament with the incoming basketball powers is going to be the greatest show on earth and I think Greensboro is the ideal locus.

I added Duke to the list because they are as at home in Greensboro as they are in the Garden. But they might like the New York limelight.

It's inevitable, but I don't like it. It has nothing to do with the ACC.

Believe it or not, there are some Wake alums up here in NY. We have events and everything, and they are pretty well-attended. An ACC tourney at MSG or Barclays would have plenty of Wake attendees just from the area.

We also learned to be a bit more hospitable from our time in the south. Anyone who wants to come to the tournament but not shell out for a NY hotel room is welcome to stay at our house (first come, first served), which is in Chappaqua, about 45 minutes north of the city. I bet lots of other Deacs who live in or around the city would be happy to have a few house guests for a day or two. Bonus (or detriment, depending on your views): Bill and Hillary live right down the street from our house so you may get to meet the ex-president or first lady/secretary of state if you stay with us. He's around more than she is but they both couldn't be more pleasant (and that's coming from a die-hard Republican).

Great news. Greensboro can fuck off forever for as much as I care.

The tournament needs to be out of NC as much as possible.

Definitely ok with New York, Greensboro will always be a personal favorite but you have to rotate a little. I still think Greensboro should be a major part of that rotation. It will help the conference's perception around the country if it is in a huge city every now and then. Hopefully eliminate the discussion of the Big 10 fuckers from trying to steal teams too.

If it were up to me, I would do a one for one rotation between MSG and Greensboro.
It balances North versus South as well as tradition versus exposure.

Notre Dame is another fanbase that has significant prescence in NYC.

Back