• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bench Play

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
If we ever want to be decent again (I think most of us would take decent right now), we need to get much much better play out of our bench. We also need to stop playing the shitty players on our team so much.

Stats for our entire bench today (including Jennings, who had arguably the biggest contribution despite playing only one minute):
69 minutes
9 points (3-19 shooting, 1-7 on 3s)
8 rebounds
2 assists
2 steals
0 blocks

Moto was clearly trying to do too much with a contingent from his HS in attendance, but at this point I don't know what Chase and Cav have shown to keep getting so much playing time. Even with Devin in foul trouble Buzz has to do a much better job managing substitutes so we don't get in these terrible droughts.

The game ended when he took Thomas and Harris out at the same time and put in Cav and Chase.

The lineup had nobody on the floor that could create their own shot. I think it was CMM, Madison, Chase, Travis and Cav.

I'm sorry, that's an awful lineup, especially when it's 15-11 and you are trying to keep it close. Gutless and awful substituting.

I am probably in the minority but I dont see the tremendous upside in Moto that some do. Athletic, yes, but so raw offensively not sure he ever becomes a consistent contributor. If he has a defined role as a garbage man and tough defender maybe.... Harris sure seemed pissed at him at the end of the half for what I assume was a blown assignment. I hope I am wrong and he develops into an athletic freakazoid but he will have to do more than plow over guys in the paint. Go Deacs

Our bench is what it is. We saw extended minutes from Washington, Tree and Cav. They were all completely ineffective. Moto had one of hi s worst games of the year Chase played like he's been playing for the last 6 weeks. Did I miss anyone?

Unfortunately, that's our bench. They are freshman with gaping holes in their games and physiques at this point. They are especially ineffective on the road.
While I agree it's idiotic to have Harris and Thomas off the court together generally, and also to bring in Chase and Cav together, when we got down 9-14 in the first 5 minutes, we had given up 5 layups or dunks, 2 FT and a jumper to Len. In total, MD made 6 of their first 8 shots and scored 14 points in 4:20. Devin already had a foul. There are multiple reasons why Bz might have gone to the bench at that point. There aren't great options, particularly when Jones is starting.
I think he's biggest mistake was playing the 3 guard offense against a team with as much size as MD, not that anything would have mattered today.

You're right Doggus.

His biggest flaw was starting Madison instead of Moto/Cav. It set McKie and Thomas up to fail in terms of foul trouble vs. Padgett and Len. Of course they both quickly picked up fouls and the rout was on once Cav/Fisch came in.

the serious problem on the bench is the guy in charge.
until that gets fixed it won't really matter what else happens.

Our 7 foot center played 13 minutes and had no rebounds. Pretty good stat line for a reserve. Might could have used Tyler Lewis at guard and Reggie Johnson at center if we had just recruited them. Oh wait, we did they just didn't come here.

Our 7 foot center played 13 minutes and had no rebounds. Pretty good stat line for a reserve. Might could have used Tyler Lewis at guard and Reggie Johnson at center if we had just recruited them. Oh wait, we did they just didn't come here.

We offered neither and would likely have had both of them if we had offered. I have it on very good authority that this is the case, especially for Lewis. Same thing with Shane Larkin.

Larkin
CJ
McKie
Thomas
Johnson

CMM
Moto
Cav
Lewis
Washington

I would expect we could switch Larkin and Madison. That's not a bad lineup, young but still talented unlike out current team that's only young.

The game ended when he took Thomas and Harris out at the same time and put in Cav and Chase.

The lineup had nobody on the floor that could create their own shot. I think it was CMM, Madison, Chase, Travis and Cav.

I'm sorry, that's an awful lineup, especially when it's 15-11 and you are trying to keep it close. Gutless and awful substituting.

Wow, that's terrible. I missed that. Even if one, or both, is in foul trouble, you just can't make that substitution against a decent opponent.

Cav and Moto played well off the bench against Duke. Neither played well against MD.

We offered neither and would likely have had both of them if we had offered. I have it on very good authority that this is the case, especially for Lewis. Same thing with Shane Larkin.

The decision to not offer Larkin was mindboggling (in hindsight anyway). It was [Redacted] unnecessarily doubling down on Tony as the point guard of the future.

Why are we bringing up Tyler Lewis on this thread? He's like Anthony Fields part 2. Larkin should have been a no-brainer though.

I know there is a lot of Rountree love on this msg board, but no mention of him playing with no real defined role. Does Aaron really know what the coaches expect of him when he has no idea when he's going to get into the game? I feel bad for the kid since he only seems to get minutes when the other players ahead of him are so bad Bzz has no other choice. I don't see how we couldn't be better with Rountree in the game using the proper scheme with the right personnel at the right times. Someone else mentioned starting MJ with CJ and bringing CMM off the bench. To me that makes the most sense and bring in Rountree with Codi for the first substitution when Adala is forcing it or Thomas gets an early foul. Go "small" and use Rountree at the top of a 1-2-2 trapping zone or a 3-2. We already have trouble rebounding, might as well force the other team inside and hope they miss some contested layups. Then run more of your offense through Tree who is an excellent passer of the basketball. More high-low at the top of the key with him and Thomas would be nice. Too bad McKie really can't play inside or refuses to add a low-post, back to the basket dimension to his game. Perimeter gets really crowded with two extra big guards when Moto is not in there.

Back