• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many American Presidents were born

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
in the British Colonies?

Leave it to ol' Lectro to completely confuse the issue but wasn't George Washington born under British sovereignty? Wasn't he and Jefferson and Adams, et.al., each born in a British Colony?

Everyone up through Martin Van Ruin at least.

OOO, I was almost right. The guy after Van Ruin was William Henry Harrison, born in 1773.

BOOM, history!

That is why the Constitution says:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"

The second part is pretty crucial or the office of President would have been open for quite a while.

Last edited:
Palmetto beat me to it. Not surprisingly, the Framers were smart enough to include themselves in articulating the Constitutional requirements for the Presidency.

Palmetto beat me to it. Not surprisingly, the Framers were smart enough to include themselves in articulating the Constitutional requirements for the Presidency.

Gotta love those framers. But I bet at least one draft was approved before someone said, "Hey, wait a minute."

OOO, I was almost right. The guy after Van Ruin was William Henry Harrison, born in 1773.

BOOM, history!

But Van Buren wasn't one of them, was he?

If the question had been framed who was born a British subject, Obama would actually count. I've fooled a couple of people on that one.

Back