• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC House gives tentative approval to NC Budget

but they are going to get rid of that debilitating .75 cent sales tax

Politicians in North Carolina screwing things up? Color me surprised.

They need to eliminate some of the duplication in the 16 member UNC college system.

Slash away, I say...

Why? The people who are going to lose their jobs because of this didn't have to. A 0.75 cent sales tax that was already in effect would have saved those jobs, and instead they would rather put thousands in the unemployment line while increasing class sizes and the unnecessary burden on the teachers remaining? How do they plan to create jobs by cutting thousands of jobs at the state level?

I hope all the new congressmen in NC enjoy their stay, because at this rate they aren't going to be there very long.

I'm genuinely interested in what sort of duplication you are referring to.

The HBCs in the UNC system are the smallest by enrollment. You have two within 30 minutes of each other.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to combine them both under NC A&T and cut your administration costs?

This is just an example. Do we really need 16 state-supported schools in this state? I work over near UNC-G and they are always building something, even in a huge recessionary period with budget shortfalls.

Then you have the boondoggle of the taxpayers in this state subsidizing athletic scholarships for out of state athletes when we are running huge budget deficits and we have some of the highest taxes in the SE.

The college system in this state has been a sacred cow for way too long.

I drive home every day and I see advertisements by UNC-Pembroke and such. If they have to advertise to get enrollment, are they really necessary?

Why? The people who are going to lose their jobs because of this didn't have to. A 0.75 cent sales tax that was already in effect would have saved those jobs, and instead they would rather put thousands in the unemployment line while increasing class sizes and the unnecessary burden on the teachers remaining? How do they plan to create jobs by cutting thousands of jobs at the state level?

I hope all the new congressmen in NC enjoy their stay, because at this rate they aren't going to be there very long.

Because just once it is nice to see a budget deficit tackled from the expense side rather than the revenue side.

Because just once it is nice to see a budget deficit tackled from the expense side rather than the revenue side.

Putting thousands on unemployment isn't tackling anything. It's hurting people and the NC economy unnecessarily.

The HBCs in the UNC system are the smallest by enrollment. You have two within 30 minutes of each other.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to combine them both under NC A&T and cut your administration costs?

This is just an example. Do we really need 16 state-supported schools in this state? I work over near UNC-G and they are always building something, even in a huge recessionary period with budget shortfalls.

Then you have the boondoggle of the taxpayers in this state subsidizing athletic scholarships for out of state athletes when we are running huge budget deficits and we have some of the highest taxes in the SE.

The college system in this state has been a sacred cow for way too long.

I drive home every day and I see advertisements by UNC-Pembroke and such. If they have to advertise to get enrollment, are they really necessary?

The construction at universities get their funding from bonds approved by voters more than 8 years ago. That's how long it takes for funding to wind its way through the system.

Putting thousands on unemployment isn't tackling anything. It's hurting people and the NC economy unnecessarily.

The government doesn't have any obligation to employ people simply to prevent unemployment. It is each individual's responsibility to find, or make, their own job.

The government doesn't have any obligation to employ people simply to prevent unemployment. It is each individual's responsibility to find, or make, their own job.

No, but they have a responsibility to do what is best for the people, and putting them out of work and on unemployment when other options were available is not fulfilling that responsibility. Our government should not be putting people out of jobs (necessary jobs, at that) to prove a point.

Question: how much of the NC Lottery actually goes to education?

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Education_Lottery

Proceeds and payouts
Seven percent is paid to retailers as commission.
Fifty percent is paid as winnings to players.
Eight percent is cost-of-sales.
The remaining 35% goes to education proceeds, broken down as follows:
Before any proceeds are paid, 5% of the proceeds (1.75% of the total) goes to the Education Lottery Reserve Fund to be used when lottery proceeds fall short. This fund may not exceed $100 million.
Fifty percent of the remainder (16.625% of the total) goes towards the reduction of class sizes.
Forty percent of the remainder (13.3% of the total) is used for school construction.
Sixty-five percent of the above (8.645% of the total) is distributed based on school enrollment.
The remaining 35% (4.655% of the total) is distributed to counties with effective property tax rates above North Carolina's average based on school enrollment.
Ten percent of the remainder (3.325% of the total) are distributed for college scholarships, to be used with the federal Pell Grant.

Originally, North Carolina's scratch tickets had an overall payout of 52%, the lowest among scratch tickets then available through US lotteries. While its $1 instant tickets continue to pay out at roughly this level, its newer $2-and-up games now have higher-percentage payouts.

The Lottery has continued to generate controversy among North Carolina constituents upset with teacher layoffs who believed the Lottery would have made up the difference.[7]

I'm genuinely interested in what sort of duplication you are referring to.

Sounds like this heel thinks you are talking about his precious Chapel Hill.

Everyone in NC knows Chapel Hill has great grad schools. No way UNC Chapel Hill would ever lose funding.

IMO, Chapel Hill, State, UNCG, ECU (because of the med school) and NC A&T are the only absolutely necessary campuses.

Sounds like this heel thinks you are talking about his precious Chapel Hill.

Everyone in NC knows Chapel Hill has great grad schools. No way UNC Chapel Hill would ever lose funding.

IMO, Chapel Hill, State, UNCG, ECU (because of the med school) and NC A&T are the only absolutely necessary campuses.

You need a campus in the western part of the state as well. That's it.

And how is NCA&T "absolutely necessary?"

Right, but I don't get how an HBC is "absolutely necessary."

Back