• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How's That Obama Recovery Feeling?

One of the trends we're going to see through this election cycle is mass firings of public sector workers being collectively blamed on Obama while private sector hiring increases.

what should he have done to fix/prevent those problems?

I doubt anyone has the perfect answer on this.

I will say that economically there is just very little to point out that is going well right now. Whether or not the Obama admin could have fixed it is moot at this point. The fact is that at face value many Americans will feel they are worse off than 2 years ago, and unjustly place responsibility on Obama.

The fact is that at face value many Americans will feel they are worse off than 2 years ago, and unjustly place responsibility on Obama.

Do people really think things are worse off than 2 years ago?

Banks failing, stock-market in freefall, major companies on verge of bankruptcy, global economy in meltdown, etc.....

I doubt anyone has the perfect answer on this.

I will say that economically there is just very little to point out that is going well right now. Whether or not the Obama admin could have fixed it is moot at this point. The fact is that at face value many Americans will feel they are worse off than 2 years ago, and unjustly place responsibility on Obama.

I understand that - the voter often doesn't know that the Pres had few levers to pull or they don't care - they want someone else. But I don't perceive the thread starter to be one of those people. he didn't frame the post, IMO, the way you did. It seemed like he felt Obama could have fixed/prevented those things but failed to.

Do people really think things are worse off than 2 years ago?

Banks failing, stock-market in freefall, major companies on verge of bankruptcy, global economy in meltdown, etc.....

Most people really didn't feel the heat from the stock market collapse, even though almost everyone has skin in the game via retirement plans. Aside from the people who lost their jobs, the effect wasn't all that dramatic on a day to day cash flow basis.

I think the ridiculous gas prices and higher costs to buy seemingly everything today would have most people feeling worse off than 2 years ago.

The way it is now is a lot better thna how it was left to him. It's not good, but if you blame obam for this, then W is just this side of Herbert Hoover.

If Obama is responsible for a slow recovery, then W is responsible for destroying the economy.

You can't honestly have one without the other.

I reserve my predictions until the GOP puts up a coherent challenger. Until they do that, I dont see how he could lose.

^I agree. I just don't see who out there is going to challenge him. pawlenty, on paper, seems to be the best bet. the others all have too much baggage

I understand that - the voter often doesn't know that the Pres had few levers to pull or they don't care - they want someone else. But I don't perceive the thread starter to be one of those people. he didn't frame the post, IMO, the way you did. It seemed like he felt Obama could have fixed/prevented those things but failed to.

Not at all Baked. If we were in full recovery mode you know damn well Obama and all his supporters would be taking credit for it. That's how it goes with Presidents and the economy. Any time there was an uptick in jobs or a downtick in jobless claims his administration has been front and center claiming things were "on the right track". So if you want to claim credit when things trend one way, then you get the blame when they trend the other.

The fact of the matter is that his $800 billion "stimulus" plan was a huge barrel of pork that did little but explode our national debt. The dollar has been destroyed by QE I and II. Cash for clunkers was another big winner. Now he's floating the idea of taxing drivers by the mile. None of this is going to help create real, sustainable jobs in the private sector. Fiscal conservatives have said that all along.

No argument that things were in a bad way, but his policies have only made things worse and have deepened the hole we are in.

Not at all Baked. If we were in full recovery mode you know damn well Obama and all his supporters would be taking credit for it. That's how it goes with Presidents and the economy. Any time there was an uptick in jobs or a downtick in jobless claims his administration has been front and center claiming things were "on the right track". So if you want to claim credit when things trend one way, then you get the blame when they trend the other.

The fact of the matter is that his $800 billion "stimulus" plan was a huge barrel of pork that did little but explode our national debt. The dollar has been destroyed by QE I and II. Cash for clunkers was another big winner. Now he's floating the idea of taxing drivers by the mile. None of this is going to help create real, sustainable jobs in the private sector. Fiscal conservatives have said that all along.

No argument that things were in a bad way, but his policies have only made things worse and have deepened the hole we are in.

so your answer is that he should have just not done those things you listed and you would have been happy with his economic performance thus far - because there were no other levers to pull?

We are in much less of a hole thna if we allowed W's policies to continue. We were losing 700,000 jobs/month and that number was growing when Obama took over. Now there is net job creation.

We had -5.9% GDP even a bad quater was 1.8% growth. That's a net postive of 7.7%.

All the job losses though September of 2001 were under W's last fiscal year.

Bake, if Jesus ran as a Dem, 84 wouldn't vote for him.

^I agree. I just don't see who out there is going to challenge him. pawlenty, on paper, seems to be the best bet. the others all have too much baggage

That's the frustrating part. Pawlenty is a snooze and Mitch Daniels is way too bland. I still hold out hope that when none of the 'Pubs have separated themselves from the pack, the GOP head honchos will pave the way for Chris Christie to take the nomination. I think he would be willing if he didn't have to take so much time away from his current job to campaign.

Bake, here's a point of reference RE:84. Vurtually every RWer on the board has posted on one or more of the OBL is dead threads giving Obama credit for killing him. 84 can't bring himself to do so.

If one can't give a POTUS credit for doing something so obviously positive for this country, how can anything he says ever be taken as being legitimate.

His hatred is so deep that he can't even do this without prodding. It's beyond pathetic.

84 I'm wondering:

whomever took office in '08, is it your assertion that doing absolutely nothing was the answer? You have the benefit of hindsight to answer the question so it should be easy.

If the answer is no, what actions should the POTUS from '08 until today have taken.

Back