• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Special Ops and PED's

61raddeac

Class of 1993
Reaction score
First off, I'm not being critical. I'm actually supportive of these guys using whatever they can under medical supervision to enhance their general badassness.

I've been in Mexico for the past week somewhat limited in my access to information. Reading about our elite Special Forces and seeing a pic today on my ipad of one of these guys got me thinking. Surely they use PED's right?

One article even mentioned that the MOST elite, Devgru, were older (in their 30's) That's like having your elite athletes in their mid 30's. Yea it happens but it's not routine. These guys need to be strong, fast, agile, and intelligent. Not to mention they need to be able to recover quickly from injury.

What do ya'll think. Since the identities are even secret I'm sure what they put in their bodies is too.

Again, not being negative in fact just the opposite.

So be it...I think they should have whatever they want (within and without reason).

I worked with a Special Op SEAL guy several years ago. He was discharged because of a knee injury. He was a special breed...did not think or act like a normal guy. He scared the shit out of me and I knew he liked me. I must say it makes me happy to know there are a lot of guys like that with their scopes set on the "bad" guys.

When you really sit down and think about it, it makes sense. America's greatest fictional soldier is a product of a "super soldier serum". I wouldn't be surprised at all.

My attitudes about PEDs have changed over the years. I believe there should be an even playing field in sports and obviously there are health risks. But at the risk of sounding like a mix of Jose Canseco and OliveGardenDeac, if we can achieve better living through science in a way that makes us bigger, faster, stronger, you can't expect people not do it, especially when the stakes are high.

When you really sit down and think about it, it makes sense. America's greatest fictional soldier is a product of a "super soldier serum". I wouldn't be surprised at all.

My attitudes about PEDs have changed over the years. I believe there should be an even playing field in sports and obviously there are health risks. But at the risk of sounding like a mix of Jose Canseco and OliveGardenDeac, if we can achieve better living through science in a way that makes us bigger, faster, stronger, you can't expect people not do it, especially when the stakes are high.

That made me laugh. No offense OGD. My laughter should be taken as a compliment.

A friend of mine is an ex-SEAL who was in Panama, Granada and the Gulf in the 80s and 90s. He did not used PEDs and the proof is he tried out for the Olympic team in judo, where he was tested like Lance Armstrong... over and over again. Times may have changed but he was a badass then and one of the oldest SEALS (early thirties) in the group.

I don't think people really understand how hard these guys train, push themselves and ignore pain. Forget about pro athletes. They'd ring the bell the first week in San Diego (most of them anyway -- there's always a Tillman in one of the special forces to disprove the point).

I have always felt this way. I don't know why PEDs are the only area where we care about the health of athletes. Hell, we love when hockey and football players completely disregard their bodies to devastating consequences but we get high and mighty when they harm their bodies with PEDs...that does not compute with me.

My parents have a friend who was Special Forces (he admitted to my step-father after he retired that he was Delta Force, but would only tell them SF while he was in). He wasn't overly big and didn't act scary or anything. However, he just had this presence about him that he was a guy that you didn't want to mess with.

I don't think he used PED. He was a tracker, so maybe he didn't need to be as big as some of the others.

I have always felt this way. I don't know why PEDs are the only area where we care about the health of athletes. Hell, we love when hockey and football players completely disregard their bodies to devastating consequences but we get high and mighty when they harm their bodies with PEDs...that does not compute with me.

Yeah. Well said. We tell a 16 year old kid that he needs to get up to 300 lbs so he can start on the OL and have a chance at a college scholarship. But we literally have to get the federal government involved if there's a chance that kid takes pills to help him get stronger.

We need to care all ways or no ways and just figure it out.

Damn, I just realized I Haased from The Pit. I'll go with what Irish says too.

The SEALs are usually on the younger side of the special operations guy.

I remember when my brother finished his Ranger training...dude looked like a holocaust victim

The physical aspect of special forces work only really scratches the surface. What I mean is, there are thousands of physically qualified candidates who can't handle the psychological and emotional part of the mission. People who excel at that job do so because they can handle all aspects: mental, physical, psychological, emotional, etc. Do I think that there are special forces folks who use PEDs? Yes, absolutely, but I don't think the use of PEDs is requisite or systemic.

Talked to a former special forces medic that works with me. He says there is a zero tolerance policy towards PEDs & they test special forces guys every six months for them. Main concern about them is how it affects the soldiers reactions in high stress situations.

The thing that sets the special ops guys apart from the rest of the military and regular people is their mindset. Mental toughness, composure, and reasoning skills are valued more than physical skills. They still have to possess outstanding physical skills, but even then it's more about stamina then strength and speed.

Back