• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consumers suing TWC over sports

I don't really get the point. Unless they can prove some sort of collusion between the cable companies what is the basis of the lawsuit?

I don't think they realize that sports fans who don't watch Lifetime, Bravo, and all that are paying for it as well which makes their bills go down. Good luck to them. Time Warner sucks.

If and when the TV distribution infrastructure changes, college athletics is going to be radically changed, IMO.

The model will change when those who distribute sports find it profitable to do so. Sports are the only reason to be a cable subscriber.

The model will change when those who distribute sports find it profitable to do so. Sports are the only reason to be a cable subscriber.

Really? I like sports as much as the next guy, but I can't tolerate ESPN for an extended period of time, and most of the games they show are meaningless. Yes, I really like my cable during college football season, but the rest of the time it's there to provide me with Monk and The Office reruns, whatever original programming is on FX or AMC or HBO, and a plethora of other documentary options to kill time with.

Really? I like sports as much as the next guy, but I can't tolerate ESPN for an extended period of time, and most of the games they show are meaningless. Yes, I really like my cable during college football season, but the rest of the time it's there to provide me with Monk and The Office reruns, whatever original programming is on FX or AMC or HBO, and a plethora of other documentary options to kill time with.

You can get all those shows from other distributors though (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, etc.). Sports are the only true exclusive content cable/satellite providers really have.

If The Golf Channel ever offered a streaming service I would drop my cable subscription.

jags_medium.gif

We cut the cord on TWC cable tv last week. I wish we had another realistic option for internet so that we could be done with them altogether.

Edit to add an example of why I hate TWC:

When I called to cancel, the TWC rep could not pull up my account based on account number or service address. (Class twc right there.) So she asks for the MAC address on my router. I say, "Can't you look it up using my phone number?" She says, "Sure. What's your phone number?"

Really? You go right to MAC address and skip over an account identifier that your customer is almost certainly going to know by heart?

Small thing, sure. But it's been 12+ years of the same shit. (For half of that time, their records showed us as living in a town in which we'd never lived, and they were unable to correct it. Every time we scheduled a service appointment, we'd get a call from a service tech in a town 50 miles away asking where we were.)

Last edited:
We cut the cord on TWC cable tv last week. I wish we had another realistic option for internet so that we could be done with them altogether.

Edit to add an example of why I hate TWC:

When I called to cancel, the TWC rep could not pull up my account based on account number or service address. (Class twc right there.) So she asks for the MAC address on my router. I say, "Can't you look it up using my phone number?" She says, "Sure. What's your phone number?"

Really? You go right to MAC address and skip over an account identifier that your customer is almost certainly going to know by heart?

Small thing, sure. But it's been 12+ years of the same shit. (For half of that time, their records showed us as living in a town in which we'd never lived, and they were unable to correct it. Every time we scheduled a service appointment, we'd get a call from a service tech in a town 50 miles away asking where we were.)

She was flat out lying about not being able to pull up your account by account number. It's a stall tactic they are trained to use whenever someone tries to cancel their service.

I don't really get the point. Unless they can prove some sort of collusion between the cable companies what is the basis of the lawsuit?

I'm guessing the plaintiffs are alleging that TWC has unlawfully tied the channels they want with the channels they don't want. Tying is an antitrust cause of action, but does not require collusion between two parties. The plaintiffs will have to prove that TWC has sufficient market power in the market for the tying product (the channels they want). This might be difficult with so many other ways to access the same content without going through TWC.

I don't think they realize that sports fans who don't watch Lifetime, Bravo, and all that are paying for it as well which makes their bills go down. Good luck to them. Time Warner sucks.

ESPN and its sub-channels are a much, much greater cost to the average cable subscriber than any of the channels you mentioned.

Explain this: you add the sports package @ 6.99$ but then a month later they jack it up to 11.00$. How is that not a breach of contract? ( just curious)

ESPN and its sub-channels are a much, much greater cost to the average cable subscriber than any of the channels you mentioned.

No doubt about that. They also have a much much higher viewership. That's still the way the system works.

Back