• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA rule changes this basketball season

leeway when it comes to penalties for accidentally elbowing an opponent above the shoulders
The defender is no longer able to slide into the offensive player's path to the basket at the last moment and draw a charge

That second one is certainly not in our favor. We don't have a ball handler quick enough to consistently take advantage of it. On the other hand most of our conference competition does have those quick ball handlers. Given our already suspect defense, it could be more bad news for Wake basketball.

I like the second one. We are not going to be good as long as [Redacted] is here no matter what rules they play by. That change, if actually enforced, will fundamentally change the way Duke plays defense.

Is this the anti-Dick rule? Like it. Took the NCAA too long to implement it.

When an acne covered kid doesn't get that call at Cameron during a big moment, I'll believe they've changed the charge rule. Then and only then.

They'll get the call in Cameron with ACC refs, but they won't get it in the tournament with impartial refs at a neutral site.

leeway when it comes to penalties for accidentally elbowing an opponent above the shoulders
The defender is no longer able to slide into the offensive player's path to the basket at the last moment and draw a charge

That second one is certainly not in our favor. We don't have a ball handler quick enough to consistently take advantage of it. On the other hand most of our conference competition does have those quick ball handlers. Given our already suspect defense, it could be more bad news for Wake basketball.

I like the second one. We are not going to be good as long as [Redacted] is here no matter what rules they play by. That change, if actually enforced, will fundamentally change the way Duke plays defense.

I agree with you regarding your statement in bold above. And I think that I will also like the rule change, but I first want to see it applied in game situations. My comments were simply pointing out that the rule is unlikely to make it easier on Wake this year.

There needs to be a clarification concerning what the offensive player is permitted to do to free himself from the defensive effort to take the ball, especially following rebounds. Can he swing his elbows or swing his body with his elbows extended?

The rule regarding the defensive player not being allowed to maintain contact with the offensive player by using his hands or forearms will be, imo, the greatest change if enforced consistently.

So Buzz's "no dunk shots allowed" rule was rejected by the NCAA?

So Buzz's "no dunk shots allowed" rule was rejected by the NCAA?

Correct. As was the "no zone defense" rule. The "no Tuesday games" discussion was tabled until next year's meetings.

I honestly thought the 2nd rule was already a rule.

No, only inside that arc from a secondary defender. Can't fine them for flopping like in the NBA but maybe the they can just call it a block and give the defender a foul towards his 5 for the junk.

There needs to be a clarification concerning what the offensive player is permitted to do to free himself from the defensive effort to take the ball, especially following rebounds. Can he swing his elbows or swing his body with his elbows extended?

The rule regarding the defensive player not being allowed to maintain contact with the offensive player by using his hands or forearms will be, imo, the greatest change if enforced consistently.

What they gotta do is get all the junk contact out of the game and allow "freedom of movement". Will be the new Bzword so to speak
but it applies to both the offense & defense as to many guys are getting knocked around. Offense is setting all these wide illegal picks, not allowing any defense to guard. Really hard to pick up an offensive player when a screener is set 4 feet wide illegally and then runs his knee or elbow farther out. Same when a defender jumps out or hedges on the offense who is trying to run motion offense and they chicken wing or hip the guy out of his pattern. All these are fouls. Saw a bunch finally called in the NBA playoffs and it was great. Make them play the right way.

I think they should consider the "[Redacted] down by 40 mercy rule" or the "Spot [Redacted] 20 cause he is on the road rule."

Back