• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AT&T National Golf Tournament

No Tiger. No Mickelson. No Rose. No McIlroy. Boring course.

Might as well be the Reno Tahoe Open.

The US Women's Open at Sebonack will be far more compelling viewing this week.

Well that's just nonsense.

You think a 2nd rate event with a 3rd rate field on a boring course with little architectural merit is going to be more fun to watch than a USGA championship on a fairly new course with fascinating architecture?

If so, I'm going to disagree with you. Different strokes for different folks.

You think a 2nd rate event with a 3rd rate field on a boring course with little architectural merit is going to be more fun to watch than a USGA championship on a fairly new course with fascinating architecture?

If so, I'm going to disagree with you. Different strokes for different folks.

This is like saying you'd rather watch the WNBA finals than a first round NBA playoff game. Even if the field is just Scott, Fowler, Day, Mahan, Furyk, Horschel, etc. - it's still a 3 time US Open course playing 7,600 yards and the level of play is still light years better than the LPGA no matter how strong your distaste for Congressional may be.

Sebonack is great and everything, but I'd rather watch the Web.com or the PGA Professionals tourneys than the LPGA.

Just to clarify, this is the only women's tournament of the year that I watch.

And yes, I think crowning a national champion is more compelling viewing that a run of the mill tour event.

Stolen from UMTerp!

"Top-50 players at the AT&T:

3. Rose, Justin
4. Scott, Adam
8. Snedeker, Brandt
16. Day, Jason
22. Mahan, Hunter
25. Watney, Nick
26. Van Pelt, Bo
28. Furyk, Jim
29. Haas, Bill
31. Fowler, Rickie
34. Horschel, Billy
43. Colsaerts, Nicolas
44. Garrigus, Robert

Still probably an above-average field"

sabbatini withdraws with a pulled vagina after going +8 through 12.

And yes, I think crowning a national champion is more compelling viewing that a run of the mill tour event.

Odds of a non-Asian winning? (not that I have anything against Asian women...)

So watch the crowning ceremony.

I generally watch sports to see players do stuff that I can't see in a basic amateur setting. For example, I don't watch the WNBA because those teams could show up to any decent gym in the country and get torched in a pick-up game (I've seen it happen). If I want to watch someone bump it 245 yards off the tee and hit basic golf shots into moderate conditions, essentially turning golf into a chip-and-putt contest, I'd just watch the USGA Junior Amateur.

Any 12-year-old girls in the running this year?

(This is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'm genuinely surprised someone who is decent at golf gets much out of watching an LPGA event).

It was only a matter of time.

Why, it's not Sunday yet?

As for weekend viewing, I'd make a case for the Irish Open being the most interesting. The Irish venues tend to be some of the most visually compelling venues in the world - Royal Portrush, Ballybunion, Killarney, Carton House. Prettier than the British Open venues. As for Congressional, it's a great old course, but LK is prolly right that it's not as visually compelling as Sebonack.

If I were a pro and had the choice of where to play in July, I'd take a month off from our overbearing heat and play the Irish, Scottish (now that it's at Aberdeen) and British Opens. And that would prolly be my favorite month of golf of the year. For the beer too.

That's a good point. I do enjoy watching the PGA Tour play a golf course as difficult as Congressional - even if it's not the prettiest. But man, some of those European Tour locations have been incredible this year. Thracian Cliffs was crazy awesome.

That's a good point. I do enjoy watching the PGA Tour play a golf course as difficult as Congressional - even if it's not the prettiest. But man, some of those European Tour locations have been incredible this year. Thracian Cliffs was crazy awesome.

Yeah, I watched a fair amount of the Thracian Cliffs tourney just for the scenery. That place was spectacular. That's why my favorite viewing month on our calendar is February (Torrey, Pebble & Riviera) and prefer the US Open and PGA venues like Pebble, Olympic, Kiawah, Sehalle, Whistling Straits and Shinnecock. I'm excited about Chambers Bay and would love to see them play Bandon Dunes, assuming they could figure out the logistics and infrastructure.

I'll watch the Solheim Cup. This ranks 2nd on my list. Was pleased last year when former Big Breaker Ryan O'Toole made a run.

ryann-otoole.jpg

Back