• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted] A Non-Issue For Wake Brass

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
Forgive me if Haas, just received this email from the ACC Journal today. Anyone have a premium account? If already posted, let me know, I will delete.

https://www.accsports.com/teams/wake-forest/2013062515687/[Redacted]-a-non-issue-for-wake-brass-.php

The first sentence is depressing enough...don't know if I could stand the whole article.

We have known this for a long time. If bzz was an issue he'd be gone. It's why the focus has to keep shifting to wellman and the terrible state of the actual sports teams and his record. This does not end until enough people with power understand ronnie's actual record and not he douoble speak and smoke screens he throws out there. Nice job on facilities and brining in money but if you can't hire coaches capable of producing you can't fill this facilities. If it continues his legacy will be he over extended the need for facilities because we can't use/fill what we have.

If new facilities don't lead to wins, what's the point? I'd rather watch us win on a wooden bench than lose from Deacon Tower.

It haas been posted on the other thread. You don't want to read it. Just trust me. It'll fuck up your weekend of hipster foodie-ing.

I signed up for 30 days free access. They think it is laughable that Wellman would be fired and that we are the lunitic fringe.

That's it? They think Bz is the answer?

Anyone of importance at WFU who says anything like that is basically telling me to completely stop caring about WFU. Incompetence is one thing. Arrogant incompetence is something else.

I can tell you, however, that there are some very connected WFU alums who are part of this so-called fringe.

Kent, given that [Redacted] will be here through next season. What would you expect them to say?

Anyone of importance at WFU who says anything like that is basically telling me to completely stop caring about WFU. Incompetence is one thing. Arrogant incompetence is something else.

I can tell you, however, that there are some very connected WFU alums who are part of this so-called fringe.

Truth.

While I am amazed it has gotten to this point, another year without significant improvement will bring some interesting changes. Actually, the changes themselves wont be the interesting part ... the way they will be positioned will be. I still dont think RW will allow himself to be taken out because of Bz. Whether he makes a change and thanks Bz for all he has done for the program or RW retires as AD, it cant continue as it is.

Maybe Wellman takes a position with the NCAA. The Peter Principle seems to live there.

Wellman has stayed on way too long. He is approaching Social Security age, if he's not already there. I'm not calling for a mandatory retirement age, if Wellman could demonstrate that he was still up to the job, but he's obviously not. He really should have the grace to just retire instead of hanging on to his million-dollar a year job (his compensation, given his record, is obscene).

Being a big-time athletic AD is not just about raising money for facilities, although that's clearly part of it. It's ALL about hiring the right coaches. Wellman is failing that test miserably in the most important of our revenue sports, basketball. And as the 10-year record in the Directors Cup shows, he has failed in many non-revenue sports as well.

Also, throughout it all, there has been no high-level talk about Wellman’s job security, other than to laugh off any idea that this could cost him his job.
That has allowed the department to continue to hunker down even more in its position that the group taking out ads and billboards is a fringe group. The billboard has been treated as a mere nuisance, almost a non-event, especially after it received little national attention compared to the newspaper ads.
Publicly, the department did not offer a statement about the billboard. WFU president Nathan Hatch has not felt the need to say anything about Wellman’s job status, as the idea that it would be necessary seems ludicrous to those at the top.
The real issue is that the people in the dissenting group are not important, at least in the larger picture. Hundreds of times, we’ve seen universities pressured into changes in the athletic department by big donors or important political figures. Hatch and Wellman face nothing of the sort. The “purge” movement is grass roots, and none of that grass is growing in the backyards of top donors or trustees.

Back