• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ObamaInterview on 60 Minutes

Shorty

Boomer Boy
Reaction score
I enjoyed the interview very much. It was clear to me that Obama was in charge and made some difficult, calcualted risk-taking decisions. I have not seem him like this at any point during his presidency.

I'm interested in what others thought.

Well you have to admit this is one of the few goals you've agree with Obama about. Killing Osama is a clear defined goal compared to for example, economic recovery. The measures are clear and can't be argued and Obama has much more support for killing Osama than any other single initiative put forth by his administration. Maybe if he (or any president) had such support for other initiatives, he'd be more successful. I heard a great line in this respect about foolishness of people saying they want elected leaders to run government like a business.

Obama has made plenty of difficult, calculated risk-taking decisions. Some of them weren't popular with Republicans, some weren't popular with his base, some were compromises that weren't particularly popular with either. Some worked. Some didn't. Some we'll have no idea if they worked for many years and the effectiveness of most will be debated for the next several decades. Just because you didn't agree with the decisions or outcomes doesn't mean they weren't made.

And let's be clear. If this mission failed and ended with Osama alive and a few dozen dead Navy SEALs, you wouldn't be giving him credit for making difficult, calculated risk-taking decisions. You'd be talking about how this sealed up 2012 for the Republicans.

Nothing against you personally, but it's humorous to say after almost 2 1/2 years as president, this is the first difficult, calculated risk-taking decision he's made in his presidency. He's the president. He makes difficult, calculated risk-taking decisions as frequently as you decide what to wear in the morning or what to eat.

Last edited:
Obama has made plenty of difficult, calculated risk-taking decisions. Some of them weren't popular with Republicans, some weren't popular with his base, some were compromises that weren't particularly popular with either. Some worked. Some didn't. Some we'll have no idea if they worked for many years and the effectiveness of most will be debated for the next several decades. Just because you didn't agree with the decisions or outcomes doesn't mean they weren't made.

Whoa whoa whoa...aren't you the one who spent days arguing semantics that Chris Christie hadn't actually made any difficult decisions because he was just going with his party politics, and that it's not really that difficult to make decisions that the other side doesn't like?

Obama hasn't just made decisions that fall along party lines. That was part of my point.

Obama hasn't just made decisions that fall along party lines. That was part of my point.

Yeah, like continuing the policies of the last administration when it comes to hunting down terrorists?

Yeah, like continuing the policies of the last administration when it comes to hunting down terrorists?

Yeah, pretty much.

Regardless, I think all of us should agree that Obama has made tough decisions besides hunting down Osama.

He clealry hasn't. He killed more terrorists with drones in huis first eighteen months than W did in seven years.

Also W let OBL go when he had people listening in on OBL's walkie talkies in real time. Obama sent in the Seals to kill OBL with no 100% firm pictures or voice proof.

Oh yeah, Obama succeeded and W didn't. That's kinda different.

He clealry hasn't. He killed more terrorists with drones in huis first eighteen months than W did in seven years.

Also W let OBL go when he had people listening in on OBL's walkie talkies in real time. Obama sent in the Seals to kill OBL with no 100% firm pictures or voice proof.

Oh yeah, Obama succeeded and W didn't. That's kinda different.

When I think of "letting him go" I think of Clinton's decision to call off the sniper that had OBL in his sights when he was with a Saudi Prince preceding a multibillion dollar deal with the Saudis regarding military plane sales.

If you're talking about the battle of Tora Bora (which is where many consider the US Military had a chance at obtaining him), there were many factors that led to his escape, not a "decision point" by W.

I don't watch any more of Obama's interviews or speeches because I just find myself getting infuriated by all of the clear-cut bullshit that he intentionally spews or is too stupid to realize that he is saying (similar to Bush). That said, this was a great decision by him. Hopefully there will be more to come and his actions will eventually start to outweigh the BS of his words.

To answer the original question, Obama has made a ton of tough decisions.

Shutting down most of our domestic oil production for instance.

To answer the original question, Obama has made a ton of tough decisions.

Shutting down most of our domestic oil production for instance.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who may challenge the president next year, suggested that Obama is quietly cheering for even higher prices at the pump.

"The Obama energy policy to me seems very clear. It's to increase the cost of energy so Americans will use less of it," Barbour said at a conference organized by the Wall Street Journal. "When you shut in the Gulf of Mexico, and American domestic oil production goes down, to me that is bad policy for our country."

But White House spokesman Jay Carney said there's one problem with this line of argument: Domestic oil production last year rose to its highest level since 2003.

According to the federal government's Energy Information Administration, U.S. oil production jumped nearly 3 percent last year, while oil imports fell.
While the administration did suspend some Western drilling leases near national parks early on, the administration argues that oil producers still have 41 million acres in which to drill.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/10/134406134/rising-gas-prices-spur-calls-for-u-s-oil-production

see also - http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-says-us-oil-production-last-year-was-/

Now then, if RJ is looking for a "redneck" he need look no further than Haley Barbour.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who may challenge the president next year, suggested that Obama is quietly cheering for even higher prices at the pump.

"The Obama energy policy to me seems very clear. It's to increase the cost of energy so Americans will use less of it," Barbour said at a conference organized by the Wall Street Journal. "When you shut in the Gulf of Mexico, and American domestic oil production goes down, to me that is bad policy for our country."

But White House spokesman Jay Carney said there's one problem with this line of argument: Domestic oil production last year rose to its highest level since 2003.

According to the federal government's Energy Information Administration, U.S. oil production jumped nearly 3 percent last year, while oil imports fell.
While the administration did suspend some Western drilling leases near national parks early on, the administration argues that oil producers still have 41 million acres in which to drill.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/10/134406134/rising-gas-prices-spur-calls-for-u-s-oil-production

see also - http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-says-us-oil-production-last-year-was-/

I love when the facts get in the way of the hysteria whipped up by political opponents.

Tell us about the bullshit, Utah. I'm interested...

When I think of "letting him go" I think of Clinton's decision to call off the sniper that had OBL in his sights when he was with a Saudi Prince preceding a multibillion dollar deal with the Saudis regarding military plane sales.

That's a new one. sounds like a typical urban myth to me. Show me a link that's not a RW site. The one you are perverting a bombing mission where not only a Saudi prince was at a wedding, but there were other dignitaries and dozens of innocent people would have been killed/

If you're talking about the battle of Tora Bora (which is where many consider the US Military had a chance at obtaining him), there were many factors that led to his escape, not a "decision point" by W.

The ONLY factor that led to escape was that Franks, Runsfeld and W REFUSED the military's request for reinforcements. We had his walkie talkie and knew where he was.

W realized if we killed OBL at Tora Bore there wouldn't have been an Iraq War and they desparately wanted a war in Iraq as was shown in Frumm's book as well as Woodward's. Neither of which were disputed by anybody in the Adminsitration.

Last edited:
2wprvqt.jpg

Heel don't bother RWers with the truth...until last week 45% (and 22% more weren't sure) of GOPers didn't think Obama was born in America in spite of overwhelming and incontravertable evidence.

Go, don't you have a retort for FUHeel and the facts about domestic drilling?

and where is Utah to educate us about the lies Obama is telling us?

come on, guys. back your shit up...

I love when the facts get in the way of the hysteria whipped up by political opponents.

Tell us about the bullshit, Utah. I'm interested...

For starters, listen to any one of his speeches containing references to taxation on small businesses (including his references in the SOTU). Each one contains blatant inaccuracies or outright lies, depending on your point of view. In general, show me a speech of his and I will show you inaccuracies and/or lies. As I have mentioned before, the guy is an absolute idiot on certain subject matters, so I give him the benefit of the doubt that he simply doesn't understand his information as opposed to intentionally lying about it. Either way, it isn't worth my time to listen to him.

Back