• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pic of the Deacon riding the UNC ram into Groves Stadium?

unrivaled_deac

Reaction score
I've always heard stories about the Deacon riding Ramses into Groves Stadium for the Wake-Carolina game. Is there any truth to this and, if so, does anyone happen to have a picture of this moment?

I know there is a picture of the ram being led into Groves wearing a black and gold blanket with Lambda Chi Alpha on the side and I believe horns painted gold. It appeared in the yearbook the year after my long-ago frat brothers stole the ram. They allegedly were aided and abetted by a Chapel Hill police officer.

Sometime between 1960-1965 the UNC ram was a guest on the quad immediately before chapel. Not sure if he was taken into the chapel. Don't know any other details.

I know there is a picture of the ram being led into Groves wearing a black and gold blanket with Lambda Chi Alpha on the side and I believe horns painted gold. It appeared in the yearbook the year after my long-ago frat brothers stole the ram. They allegedly were aided and abetted by a Chapel Hill police officer.

What year did this happen? That sounds awesome.

Here is the photo of the stolen ram, taken from the 1963 yearbook, along with some back story about the Lambda Chi brothers who did it. So awesome.

XTpwzpw.jpg

Brother 923 - what's your ΘT?

ZAX,
ΘT 623

923, of course. First number of the refounded chapter. For some reason, they assigned the new numbers in reverse alphabetical order. The last shall be first, I guess.

Don't have photos but around 1976 or 1977, several of our Pika fraternity brothers led by Jack Davis stole the UNC-Ch Ram, shaved him and painted him black & gold and rode him into Groves Stadium. Long before the days of cell phones & digital cameras. It was classic.

Back