• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Upcoming ESPN documentary about Venus Williams and Wimbleton Prize Money (nwt)

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
They've been advertising that tomorrow ESPN will show a documentary on Venus Williams at Wimbleton and how she was able to get the women's prize money equal to the men's. Now, I fully support equal pay for equal work, but what doesn't get mentioned is that in tennis the men have to win best of 5 sets. The women only best of 3. Is it wrong of me to think that if you're going to have equal prize money the women should have to win best of 5, just like the men? I mean in golf, the women have to play 72 holes in their US Open just like the men do in their US Open and the prize money isn't even close to equal in those 2 events. Female pro bowlers don't bowl 8 frames while the men bowl 10? I know this thread probably deserves a WGAF, but since I keep hearing the commercial for the documentary I'd throw it out there. :thumbsup:

Are you sure it's about Venus? Didn't Billie Jean King do this?

The money ain't about physical effort it's about TV ratings.

Yep. For awhile, the women's side was a much bigger draw than the men's.

That's a fair point, I know I'd rather watch the women depending on the hotness of the participates. I'd still like to see the women go best of 5 in the slams though.

..... and then the 40 for 40 doc will come out 10 years from now and show that Venus really was a MAN playing in the womens bracket, badda bing

Did Federer get overtime prize money for that 2009 win over Roddick?

That's a fair point, I know I'd rather watch the women depending on the hotness of the participates. I'd still like to see the women go best of 5 in the slams though.
From a competition standpoint I agree. They are certainly capable of playing 5 sets, but I'm not sure I would want to watch them play that long. I don't think the tournament organizers want to have women's matches lasting that long. If the slams were separate like in golf, you would not see the huge crowds at the women's slams that you see at the men's.

all apologies to iverson, but we're talking about tennis

Back