• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collin Martin Signs with D.C. United

Jay and company have to stop recruiting these no culture one and dones like this or else risk the culture spinning out of control.

Tough loss for the soccer team although Jay recruits really well. Looks like he was going to be one of the top three players on the team. Hope he has success with D.C. United. He appeared to be an excellent student as well so hopefully he can finish his education down the road.

So then our soccer program has officially had one more one and done than our basketball program ever has. Funny that this is the lead-in on WakeForestSports.com. Based on everything Wellman and [Redacted] have said we should be deeply ashamed, instead we're trumpeting it.

Basketball BS aside, congrats. I assume this is a pretty big fucking deal.

It's not altogether surprising since (IIRC) he came up through the DC United academy.

It's not altogether surprising since (IIRC) he came up through the DC United academy.

Yep, he had to, that's the only way DC would be able to sign him right now. Otherwise he would have had to go through the draft. It's the risk of signing MLS Academy players now; they are generally higher quality talents, but they can get signed by their parent team at any time. With DC looking to go young, I'd keep an eye on what Jalen Robinson is up to as well.

Yep, he had to, that's the only way DC would be able to sign him right now. Otherwise he would have had to go through the draft. It's the risk of signing MLS Academy players now; they are generally higher quality talents, but they can get signed by their parent team at any time. With DC looking to go young, I'd keep an eye on what Jalen Robinson is up to as well.

Thanks, good to know.

The Homegrown tag gets slapped on them after they've been in the academy for a certain amount of years, correct? Or does the team have to choose to apply the Homegrown label?

I'm assuming the teams can only sign their "homegrown" guys at any time, not just any guy that's spent time in the academy.

I thought Jalen Robinson was the one that everyone said college was going to be detrimental to his development and shouldn't go.

So then our soccer program has officially had one more one and done than our basketball program ever has. Funny that this is the lead-in on WakeForestSports.com. Based on everything Wellman and [Redacted] have said we should be deeply ashamed, instead we're trumpeting it.

Basketball BS aside, congrats. I assume this is a pretty big fucking deal.

The hypocrisy of our AD knows no bounds.

The Homegrown tag gets slapped on them after they've been in the academy for a certain amount of years, correct? Or does the team have to choose to apply the Homegrown label?

I'm assuming the teams can only sign their "homegrown" guys at any time, not just any guy that's spent time in the academy.

I think it's technically supposed to be 2 years, but I'm sure there are ways around that rule. Columbus couldn't just sign any random off your roster though, there has to be some pre-college connection. Since the homegrowns are roster exempt, more and more are getting signed every year. Sucks for you guys that it happened now and not in the spring though.

I thought Jalen Robinson was the one that everyone said college was going to be detrimental to his development and shouldn't go.

The same thing was said about Collin iirc.

I think it's technically supposed to be 2 years, but I'm sure there are ways around that rule. Columbus couldn't just sign any random off your roster though, there has to be some pre-college connection. Since the homegrowns are roster exempt, more and more are getting signed every year. Sucks for you guys that it happened now and not in the spring though.

Yeah, the timing issue is something that might need to be addressed by the NCAA.

It's not fair. Why is Vidovich allowed to bring in one and dones and Bz isn't?

Yeah, the timing issue is something that might need to be addressed by the NCAA.

Not much they can really do though, especially since it's a worldwide market. It's not like football where there really isn't anywhere else to go.

What is the best guess of the offer that he can't refuse?

The median MLS salary is about $100K; he will be on the low end of that. Also, what does this mean for his playing time as a pro. DC United sucks, but would it be expected that he is going to now play for them? If not, is he placed on a developmental team? That sounds less than ideal, and hard to understand how that would be a better developmental enviroment that playing on the highest level of NCAA soccer. Soccer is not my bag, but have a hard time seeing how this makes sense financially or developmentally.

The median MLS salary is about $100K; he will be on the low end of that. Also, what does this mean for his playing time as a pro. DC United sucks, but would it be expected that he is going to now play for them? If not, is he placed on a developmental team? That sounds less than ideal, and hard to understand how that would be a better developmental enviroment that playing on the highest level of NCAA soccer. Soccer is not my bag, but have a hard time seeing how this makes sense financially or developmentally.

I think most professional soccer leagues feel NCAA soccer stunts player growth and is inferior to playing in developmental leagues.

Most homegrown players make between $40,000 and $60,000. There are some exceptions that make double that. He will be practicing full time with DC United, playing against players who play for their country's National Teams. The level is a huge step up, which means a much higher learning rate. DC is also gutting their team and going for a youth movement, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sees some fairly immediate playing time, depending on his current form.

Back