• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Workers in many states thank FL Gov for their new jobs

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The billions Gov. Rick Scott of FL refused to use to build a high speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando will be distributed in several other states to do the same job.

All the unemployed people who are getting these jobs and all the suppliers, diners, etc, thank the governor.

I wonder how the unemployed people in FL who would have gotten good jobs feel about his largess to other states.

How about the people in Washington letting that money stay in Florida instead of taking it and then making Floridians beg to get it back?

The billions Gov. Rick Scott of FL refused to use to build a high speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando will be distributed in several other states to do the same job.

All the unemployed people who are getting these jobs and all the suppliers, diners, etc, thank the governor.

I wonder how the unemployed people in FL who would have gotten good jobs feel about his largess to other states.

They are free to move if they don't like it down in FL.

How about the people in Washington letting that money stay in Florida instead of taking it and then making Floridians beg to get it back?

Congress set it aside for a specific use. Over two dozen states lined up with over $10B in requests for that use.

If FL doesn't want it, they don't have to get it. Why should they have rules different than all the other states?

If the people of FL are really truly upset about this they will vote Scott out of office.

Not for four years. They elected the biggest crook ever to sit in a governor's mansion in November.

Completely agree on Scott, but the initial project made no sense.

An Orlando -- Miami or Tampa -- Miami line made far more sense than a Tampa -- Orlando. You're talking about two cities, depending on traffic, that are 45 minutes to an hour apart on I-4 and completely require the use of cars once inside them unlike Miami that has a decent public transit system.

Okay, I get it. You love centralized government.

No I like bringing the US transportatioon system within fifty years of the rest of the industrialized world. We are decades behind the French, the Brits, the Chinese and the Japanese among others.

An Orlando -- Miami or Tampa -- Miami line made far more sense than a Tampa -- Orlando. You're talking about two cities, depending on traffic, that are 45 minutes to an hour apart on I-4 and completely require the use of cars once inside them unlike Miami that has a decent public transit system.

But Scott didn't say anything like that. His position was he didn't want any damn stimulus money.

I'm pretty sure he's mentioned he was concerned what it would mean for the state once it was built and the federal money dried up, and he's maintained such projects typically have cost overruns and was convinced Florida would be on the hook for them.

And yes, I will agree that he also didn't want to accept a gift from President Obama.

No I like bringing the US transportatioon system within fifty years of the rest of the industrialized world. We are decades behind the French, the Brits, the Chinese and the Japanese among others.

Uh, no.

The reason we lag behind places like France, Great Britain and Japan when it comes to rail transportation is a fairly obvious geographical issue.

Very true. But having an Orlando -- Miami line is an essential part of having a Tampa -- Miami line. It would make far less sense to have those lines completely separate from each other.

I'd never use rail to go to Orlando. But I'd probably use rail to go to Miami about half the time. My in-laws are in Miami and they'll probably use it exclusively now that my father-in-law's not in the best health to drive.

Scott would prefer not to have any moment at all that would cause him to be in the same place as President Obama. For that reason, he'll keep making sure Florida taxpayer money doesn't make it back to the state.

Last edited:
Very true. But having an Orlando -- Miami line is an essential part of having a Tampa -- Miami line. It would make far less sense to have those lines completely separate from each other.

I'd never use rail to go to Orlando. But I'd probably use rail to go to Miami about half the time. My in-laws are in Miami and they'll probably use it exclusively now that my father-in-law's not in the best health to drive.

Scott would prefer not to have any moment at all that would cause him to be in the same place as President Obama. For that reason, he'll keep making sure Florida taxpayer money doesn't make it back to the state.

Florida receives $.97 back for every tax dollar taken by the federal government.

Florida receives $.97 back for every tax dollar taken by the federal government.

Link? I'd be impressed if they had those stats from January to now.

Uh, no.

The reason we lag behind places like France, Great Britain and Japan when it comes to rail transportation is a fairly obvious geographical issue.

Why did you highlight the Chinese?

Why is France or Britain different than Chicgo and St. Louis? Miami and Tampa?

If we had more trains, we'd use less gas.

Why did you highlight the Chinese?

Why is France or Britain different than Chicgo and St. Louis? Miami and Tampa?

If we had more trains, we'd use less gas.

I highlighted the Chinese because they are the one example in your list that I disagree with having better transportation than we do.

Back